Easy to write
Easy to review diﬀs
- Limited to JSON
1. Draft API contract with Spot (e.g. in VS Code)
2. Send a PR to interested engineers to gather feedback
3. Merge the PR
4. Then in parallel:
○ API engineer implements the new API
○ Client engineers implement new features based on the API
Upfront API design facilitates parallel development
○ spot docs api.ts
● Client code generation
○ leveraging OpenAPI client generators (e.g. SwiftGen)
○ no more implementation mistakes!
● API contract testing
● Linting based on API guidelines
○ spot lint api.ts
● Mock API server
○ spot mock api.ts
● No need to be familiar with TypeScript
○ quickly adopted at Airtasker by Ruby, Kotlin, Swift engineers
● Easy to integrate into your existing PR review process
● ⚠ Spot is only for JSON REST APIs
○ alternative to GraphQL, gRPC and Thrift
○ Spot is inspired by gRPC
● It's still early days (our docs need some ❤)
Is Spot good for my team?
Want to learn more?
Spot is open source!
Come work with me at Airtasker!
● Senior Software Engineers
● VP of Engineering