"I know not, what the third world war would be fought with, but the
fourth world war will be fought with sticks and stones!"
Mahmoud Salah Helal
Dr. Naglaa Abdallah
• General features
• Delivery methods
• Some Potential agents
• Biological agent compared by chemical agent
• Advantages and disadvantages
• Biological warfare also known as germ
warfare is the use of biological toxins or
infectious agents such as bacteria, viruses,
and fungi with an intent to kill or incapacitate
humans, animals or plants as an act of
biological weapons which often termed:
Bioweapons are living organisms or
replicating entities (viruses) that reproduce or
replicate within their host victims.
These are often very hard to treat and
multiply very fast as compared to normal
viruses or bacteria or fungi.
It may be an artificially manufactured
toxic substances that are used:
- To intentionally interfere with the biological
processes of a host.
- To target living organisms such as humans,
animals or vegetation.
- To contaminate non living substances like air,
water and soil.
It may also be:
- Lethal or non-lethal
-Targeted against a single individual, a group of
individuals, a group of people, or even an entire
- Developed, acquired, stockpiled.
-Deployed by nation states or non-national groups.
• Food/ water
• Aircraft sprayers
• Vehicle sprayer
• Air handling
• Human vector
• Animal vector
SOME POTENTIAL AGENTS
• Biological weapons are any disease causing
bacteria, virus, or natural toxin that can be
used against an enemy.
BIOLOGICAL AGENTS VS CHEMICAL
• Non volatile
• More toxic
• Not dermally active
• Legitimate medical use
• Odorless and tasteless
• Diverse effects
• Aerosol delivery
• Effective immunogens
• Delayed onset
• Less toxic
• Does not replicate
• Dermally active
• No use other than as weapon
• Odor and taste when
• Few effects
• Poor immunogens
• Mist/ Droplet/ Aerosol delivery
• Rapid onset
• Not contagious
• So, it’s very clear that how Biological weapons
possess a threat to the society.
• They are much cheaper and can cause
destruction comparable to nuclear weapons
may it be in developing or developed country.
• It’s a modern engineering aspect and most of
the people are unaware of it.