• Angelos Karageorgiou
• 25+ years UNIX Systems Administration
The elder 3leet classes
• Anyone remember MS/DOS and int 21h?
• Which version of DOS supports 1.44Μ floppies ?
• Which dir parameter sorts by date ?
• Which version of LIM supports expanded memory > 32M ?
– L = Lotus
– I = Intel
– M = Microsoft
The new 3leet class, more l33t than ever
• Ansible is best because it works with ssh
• Saltstack is faster because of zero-mq
• Puppet is best because of idempotence …
• How does docker do χ ?
• How do you sort du -h ?
• Nice to know but not enough
But what exactly is important ;
• Deep knowledge of systems internals
• Engineers should understand what they are called to control!
– What is a named-pipe ?
– The docker daemon is using a UNIX socket
Two meage lines of code
• mknod apipe p
• cat > apipe
– From one terminal
• cat < apipe
– From another Terminal
• The basic structure of Unix/Linux
• Processes & switching
• Task Scheduling
• Etc. etc.
• Just some OS basics or even internals are not enough!
• Το DEV in DevOps means DEVELOPMENT
• Surprise: Operating systems were created to aid developers!
• Modern solutions to the original
• Internet :-)
• Etc. etc.
Hard Core Devops
• Everything a geek needs to know in
low level C network Programming
• This book is the bible and source of
almost every software server on the
En Fin: Harq al-ada
• From Frank Herbert’s “DUNE”
• Break the habit of memorizing commands and switches.
• Learn how your machine work inside them
Deep within their cogs and gears.