POLL: WHAT IS YOUR JOB?
SMALL BUSINESS STATS
• 65% of small business have generated
new jobs since 1995!
• 50% of working population, works in
small business !
Source: Forbes Small Business
POLL: WHERE IS YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS?
• New York!
• New Jersey!
• Colorado !
• Other !
– Genetic information!
– National origin!
– Sexual orientation!
– Marital status!
– Gender, gender
identity and gender
California Protected Classes!
• Required in California for companies
with 50+ employees!
• Mandatory for supervisory employees!
– Within 6 months of hire or promotion!
– Every two years!
• Tracking methods!
– Training year!
• California Family Rights Act (CFRA)!
– Generally runs concurrently with FMLA!
– All FMLA coverage plus bonding with a child!
• Employers with 50+ employees!
• Employed at least 12 months at the company!
• Worked at least 1,250 in preceding 12-month
• Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL)!
– All CA employers with 5+ employees!
– Employees eligible from day one!
– Up to 4 months of leave!
IN CONTRAST TO FMLA
• 50 or more employees!
• 1,250 hours worked!
• Ofﬁce within 50 mile radius !
• 12 weeks unpaid time with job protection!
FEDERAL LAW & PREGNANCY
• Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1973!
• Americans with Disabilities Act!
• Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964!
• Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) !
• CA Paid Programs!
– State Disability Insurance (SDI)!
– Paid Family Leave (PFL)!
– Paid sick leave (San Francisco)!
• Check the Employment Development
Department’s website for forms:
• Anything over 8 hours in a day and over
40 hours in a workweek!
• Make-up time!
• Can only work 7 consecutive days!
• Schedule requires an employee to work
8+ hours in a 24-hour period w/o overtime!
• Secret ballot election of at least 2/3 of
• Dept. of Industrial Relations:
CALIFORNIA MINIMUM WAGE
• Currently $8/hour!
• $9/hour as of 7/1/14!
• $10/hour as of 1/1/16!
• Check ready on last day!
• Include all wages owed to employee!
• What about resignations without notice?!
• What is a meal break in California?!
– Relieved of all duty!
– Taken within ﬁrst 5 hours of shift!
– At least 30 minutes long!
– May be waived by mutual consent of employer &
– Second meal break after 10 hours!
• Brinker decision in California (April 2012)!
• Dept. of Labor Standards Enforcement:
• Wage notice!
– Wage Theft Protection Act (went into effect
• Request to view personnel ﬁle!
– No later than 21 days from date of request!
• Policy in your handbook!
• Be careful about disciplining employees
for what could be seen as protected
CALIFORNIA HR RESOURCES
• California Chamber of Commerce!
• Local Chambers of Commerce!
• Society for Human Resource Management!
• Employer Advisory Council!