5 Incredible Facts About the History of Wine
Provided By: Brix 33 in New Port Richey FL
Wine has a very rich history and has played an important role in the development of culture, trade, and
religion. Entire civilizations created gods for wine and it was used to define culture for many. We wanted
to share with you a list of our favorite historical facts about wine!
1) The world's oldest bottle of wine was found in Germany in a Roman grave. It dates back to 325 A.D.
and its contents were still preserved inside the bottle. The Romans preserved this bottle by "floating"
olive oil on top of the wine.
2) The Neolithic period is credited with being the first time in history that wine was purposefully made.
In the Eastern region near Egypt, communities were permanent. This allows the people to have a stable
food source and they experimented with food processing. Wine, Beer, and Bread are three things they
produced. Read this article to learn more.
3) In 1863 there were grape vines that are native to America planted in the English Botanical Gardens.
The vines contained root louse that killed nearly all of the grapevines in Europe! The American plants
had developed an immunity to the louse, which is why they survived.
4) United States per‐capita consumption of wine is much less than most other countries in the West, but
it is on track to become the number one consumer of wine by 2020.
5) Wine has many benefits. It preserves grapes, produces alcohol, provides carbs, prevents sickness, and
prevents tooth decay.