Foods and Nutrition in MLIS is not a bird course in any way. This course is meant to prepare students for life on their own After finishing this course, students should have the ability to think for themselves in the kitchen and follow recipes without hesitation.
Why Food Safety
• Don’t want to get hurt (burns, cuts, falls)
• Don’t want to get sick (food poisoning)
• Don’t want to make others sick.
Video – Microbes!!!
• Food Safe Video
• Start 17:00
• Finish 35:00
• Illness from consuming food that contains a harmful
substance, microorganisms or their toxins.
– stomach aches
• Can result in long-term diseases and death.
• Often caused by food that looks, smells and tastes
When To Wash
• Tell me when you should wash your hands…
• Before ______________________.
• After ________________________.
• Number One cause of Food Borne Illness
• PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE FOOD!!!!
• When we make food in our class, we must be
sanitary in order to stay healthy and keep
1. Fill in the definitions for today’s 4 vocabulary
words in English. Use your own words.
2. Read the notes given to you on Microbiology
with a partner, underline any words you
don’t understand and translate them.
3. Try the review questions on the second page.
4. Look at and think about the “Cycle of
Transmission” on page 2.