Fjord Design & Innovation
from Accenture Interactive
Drive businessvalue by pivotingyourservice,
product orentire organization,
with humansat the heart.
Envision and shape servicesthat simplify
the complex for consumersand employees,and work
across multiple touchpoints.
Shape,build and launch digital products
and connected physicalproductsthat
Design-led strategy Service design Product creation
We put humans at the heart.
Our goals for this meetup
Community ImpactSkill building
Our goals for this evening
and why it matters
and build confidence
Brene Brown Empathy Animation
Empathy has no script.
There is no right way or wrong way to do it.
It’s simply listening. Holding space.
Withholding judgment. Emotionally connecting,
and communicating that incredibly
healing message of “you’re not alone.”
• Pay attention, physically and mentally, to what's happening.
• Listen carefully, and note the key words and phrases that people use.
• Respond encouragingly to the centralmessage.
• Be flexible– prepare to changedirection as the other person's
thoughts and feelings also change.
• Look for cues that you're on target.
• Ask open-ended questions.
What is a barrier that
you are dealing with
Empathy isn’t just something that expands your moral
universe. Empathy is something that can make you a
more creative thinker, improve your relationships, can
create the human bonds that make life worth living.
But, more than that, empathy is also about
social change — radical social change.
Radical Candor is the sweet spot
between managers who are
obnoxiously aggressive on the one side
and ruinously empathetic on the other.
It is about providing guidance, which
involves a mix of praise as well as
criticism, deliveredto produce better
results and help employeesdevelop
their skills and boundaries of success.
Taking it Home
1. Gather: Get into groups of 4-5
2. Discuss: How mightempathy supportinnovation and creativity?
3. Skit: For the audience on your card,create a short skit that is
tailored to teach them about empathy.
• Come up with a relevant scenario
• Skit should be less than 2 minutes
• Ensure everyone in your group has a role
• Use any props or materials you need
Be an active listener.
Put aside your viewpoint, letting
go of your own judgments or
thoughts. Be present.
Seek to understand others.
Start by noticinghow they spend
Radical Candor – Develop as a Leader and Empower Your Team
The Power of Outrospection
Why Does Empathy Matter?