FOUNDER & CEO,
Drive business transformation by extending core capabilitie
to create a
sustainable digital enterprise.
Enterprises which are insightful enough to detect market
trends, agile enough to quickly respond and competent
enough to deliver differentiated valuepropositions.
Develop key strategies, define targeted plans and
deliver execution certainty designed to quickly
actuate critical outcomes.
Capabilities which are critical to their
competitive success in the marketplace and
adaptable to future disruptiveforces.
Enable the future.
Founder & CEO, CTO, Tax & Head of Client Managing Director, Senior Architect, BE& MS Computer
Digital TaaS Accounting – Govt, Facing Technology, International S&P, Cap Gemini Science & Engg
Thomson Reuters Custody & Fund Settlement Ops, Ernst & Young University of Texas
Services, Bear Stearns (JPM) @ Arlington
Unique expertise around
Special status of beinga
• supply credit
• foster economic growth
• insurance on liabilities (deposits)
Historically banking has been one of the business sectors
most resistant to disruption:
& inertia moving to
branded banks for
inherent flaws in
Focus all about
Institution Fee Income Rank by Asset Size
Bank of America
BB&T $632M 11
What is wrong withthis?
Retail banking industry
made $11B revenues
from overdraft & ATM
fees in 2016 (61% of
$4B maintenance charges
on checking accounts just
to keep the accountsopen!
$34.6B fee income
generated by banks on
deposit accounts in2016
What has changed?
had a negative impact
on trust in the banking
has taken centerstage
across industry verticals
with personalization as
a key driver.
has undercut the
advantages of physical
Massive increase in the
availability of customer
data with cheap
leading to proliferation
of startup businesses.
What is a Fintech?
[ˈfinˌtek] | noun
1. Computer programs and other technology used to support or
enable banking and financial services.
“A technology firm that focuses on financial products and services.”
While there are banks which want to consider themselves as FinTechs,
the key is to understand if they have technology at the core driving their
business decisions and outcomes?
The sector is shaped by
shifting market conditions,
new regulations and changes
in consumer demands and
Over the past decade the fintech
companies have matured
significantly forcing incumbents
to rethink their business models
and embrace digital innovations.
Digital attackers disintermediate
businesses and avoid capital-
¹ Revenues generated by carrying loans and other assets already sold and sitting on the books.
² Asset management includes investment and pension products. Only insurance sold by banks is included.
Source: Analysis and data provided by Panorama (a McKinsey Solution)
• Application program- ming
• Big databaserisk
• Anti-money laundering and
know your customer
• Next-generation personal
• Peer-to-peer lending
• New digital lending
• Aggregator comparison
• Next-generation collateral
• Trade analytics
• Social investing
• Social integration
• IoT andconnected
• Mobile payments
• Mobile point-of-sale
• One-stop shopfor
• Peer-to-peer corporate
lending and investment
• Next-generation lending to
• Digital cash management
Source: Panorama by McKinsey
The level of venture-capital investment in ﬁnancial technology has
Asia– United StatesEuropeOther
+205% per year
2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Source: CB Insights; analysis of data provided by McKinsey Panorama (a McKinsey Solution)
1. Nerdwallet and BankBazaar.com aggregate offerings from banks in loans, credit cards, deposits, insurance - They also get paid
by banks for generating newbusiness
2. Wealthfront provides automated wealth management solutions which attract fee averse millennials.
3. Lending home provides cost-effective mortgages with accelerated time horizons.
4. Alipay (from Alibaba), chinese payments service makes online finance simpler and intuitive with gaming strategies
5. Holvi payments (acquired by BBVA) offering banking services to SMB’s expanded to online sales platform, book keeping, expense
claims & cash flowtracker.
6. Social Finance (SoFi) offers financial products and services to students & young professionals which has expanded to career and
7. Stripe ($5B), an online payment system enables merchants to launch their website and accept payments within mins vs 5-7 days
for legacy payment companies
8 China’s Tencent (gaming and social networking) launched WeChat, a messaging platform, which offers instant loans without
collateral (unto $30K) with credit bureau data
1,042 Companies | $15.1B Funding
Highly automated, scalable
No physical distribution
Advanced data analytics usage
to more eﬀectively credit score
AI/ML usage to exploit
consumer interactions on
social media to oﬀer more
Millennials, small businesses
& underbanked love their
solutions - cost eﬀective,
remote delivery & distribution
What is really working forthem?