• Debabrata Roy
• Department: Mechanical Engineering
• Roll No: 14/ME/07
• Year: 2nd,Sem: 3rd
• WBUT Roll No: 14800714017
Facts about West Bengal Tourism Industry:
• State formed: 1947
• West Bengal Tourism Dvelopment corporation formed: 1974
• Tourism declared as a industry in the state in: 1996
• Tourism policy declared in: 2008
• Current tourism minister: Shri krisnendu Narayan Chowdhury
Types of tourism
The state of West Bengal has variety of tourist places explore.From beaches to old
age monuments to comparatively new British and Portuges colonial structure,there
are different places for varied tourist’s tastes.
• The main tourism types in West Bengal are in the following table:
Sl NO. Types of Tourism Places
1 Religious Tourism Tarapith,Tarakeswar,kalighat,Dakhineswar,Furfura
2 Sea Tourism Digha,Mandarmani,Shankarpur,junput,tajpuretc.
3 Hill Tourism Ajodhya,Darjeeling,Shusunia,kalimpong,kurseong etc.
4 Forest &wildlife Sundarban,Jaldapara,Lava,Lolegaon,Jhilmil etc.
5 Heritage Kolkata, Murshidabad,Bishnupur,Bankura etc.
•Kalighat:A famous temple Kalighat Kali Temple dedicated to the goddess Kali is s
situated in Kalighat. This is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas.
•Dakhineswar:The DAKHSHINESWAR TEMPLE was founded by RANI (Queen) of Janbaazar
RASHMONI in 1855 on the east bank of the Ganges river. The main temple is of NABARATNA
(with 9 spires) style.
• The mosque built by Muqlish Khan in 1375 is a site for Muslim pilgrimage, especially during
the Pir’s mela (fair),located in Hooghly.
•Tarapith:A small temple town near Rampurhat in Birbhum district , known for
its Tantric temple and its adjoining cremation (maha smasan)grounds where sādhanā (tantric
• Digha: A seaside resort city at northen end of Bay Of Bengal,lies in Purba
• Mandarmani:A seaside resort village lies in East Midnapore district and at the
northen end of Bay ofBengal.
Shankarpur is a virgin beach town located 14 km east of Digha . It is also a regular
Tajpur:Located in Purba Medinipur,famous for pristine sea beach fringed with a
dense forest of tamarisk tree.
• Darlinjeeling:It is a part of the Eastern Himalayan(North Bengal )zoo-geographic
• Kalimpong: It is a tourist destination owing its temperate climate, magnificent
Himalayan beauty( Neighbouring Darjeeling).
Sushunia: A hill of southern West Bengal. It is known for its holy spring, its natural beauty,
it’s a part eastern ghat.
Ajodhya: Located in the Purulia district. It is a part of theDalma Hills and extended part of
Eastern Ghats range.Highest peak of Ajodhya Hills is Gorgaburu.
Forest &Wild life:
• Sundarban: World largest delta forest . Famous for The ‘Royal Bengal Tiger’ and
• Jaldapara Resrve Forest : Famous for ‘Rhinoseros’ also found ‘Leopard’ and
Heritage:Kolkata-City of joy:
: Victoria Memorial:
Collection of paintings,sculptures and manuscripts from
Houses arms and armors, swords, muskets & photograph of
the Burma campaign & Bangladesh liberation war.
: Writer’s Building:
Built in 1770,served as office to writers of British East India
Currently seat of the West Bengal secretariat.
India’s 1st (1943)cantilever bridge with a suspended span over the
:Hazarduari- thousand doors:
Built as a residence for Nawab nazeem Humanyum Jha,a
Magnificient marble structure.
Made by Nawab Mansoor Ali Khan in 1847 ,The largest in West
Bengal perhaps in India.
Katra Masjid: One of the oldest mosque in west Bengal,built
by nawb Murshid Quli khan.
It’s a historical palce,in ancient time Gupta majesty rulled here,
then malla majesty,Faamous for terracotta temple.
The vision of the current chief minister Mamata
Banerjee of the states seeks to transforming Kolkata to
London,Darjeeling to Switzerland and digha to goa!