ISLAMIC PERSPECTIVE ON CORONA
DISASTER COMES WITH COMMAND OF ALLAH (SWT)
• ۗ ِ ااَّلل ِنْذِإِب اَّلِإ ٍةَبي ِصُّم نِم َابَصَأ اَمَمَوُهَبْلَق ِدْهَي ِ ااَّللِب نِمْؤُي نُۚ ااَّللَو
ٌميِلَع ٍءْيَش ُِلكِب-64:11
• No disaster strikes except by permission of Allah . And whoever
believes in Allah - He will guide his heart. And Allah is Knowing
of all things.
IT IS PRE- DETERMINED AND IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF
• ِف اَّلِإ ْمُكِسُفنَأ يِف ََّلَو ِضْرَ ْاْل يِف ٍةَبي ِصُّم نِم َابَصَأ اَمۚ اَهَأَرْبان نَأ ِلْبَق نِم ٍباَتِك يانِإَذَكِل
ٌيرِسَي ِ ااَّلل ىَلَع-57:22
• No disaster strikes upon the earth or among yourselves except that
it is in a register before We bring it into being - indeed that, for
Allah, is easy -
• ا ْوَسْأَت ََلْيَكِلىَلَعۗ ْمُكاَتآ اَمِب واُحَرْفَت ََّلَو ْمُكَتاَف اَمٍورُخَف ٍلاَتْخُم الُك ُّب ِحُي ََّل ُ ااَّللَو-57:23
• In order that you not despair over what has eluded you and not
exult [in pride] over what He has given you. And Allah does not like
everyone self-deluded and boastful -
REASONS FOR THE DISASTER
• 1- Warning on rebellion and disobedience to Allah
• 2- Punishment in this world so others can take
• 3- Test and Trial
• 4- Mercy , forgiveness and raising the grades of
1- WARNING FROM ALLAH
• اَنْلَسْرَأ ْدَقَلَوىَلِإَل ِاءاراضالَو ِاءَسْأَبْلاِب مُهاَنْذَخَأَف َكِلْبَق نِم ٍمَمُأَُونعارَضَتَي ْمُهالََع-6:42
• And We have already sent [messengers] to nations before you, [O Muhammad]; then
We seized them with poverty and hardship that perhaps they might humble themselves
• ُواعارَضَت اَنُسْأَب مُهَءاَج ْذِإ ََّل ْوَلَفنِكَلَوا ُمُهَل َنايَزَو ْمُهُبوُلُق ْتَسَقَونُلَمَْعَي واُنَاك اَم ُانَطْياشل-6:43
• Then why, when Our punishment came to them, did they not humble themselves? But
their hearts became hardened, and Satan made attractive to them that which they were
• ٍءْيَش ُِلك َابَوْبَأ ْمِهْيَلَع اَنْحَتَف ِهِب واُرِكُذ اَم واُسَن اامَلَفىاتَحَف اَذِإَونُسِلْبُّم مُه اَذِإَف ةَتَْْب مُهاَنْذَخَأ واُتوُأ اَمِب واُح ِر-6:44
• So when they forgot that by which they had been reminded, We opened to them the
doors of every [good] thing until, when they rejoiced in that which they were given, We
seized them suddenly, and they were [then] in despair.
2- PUNISHMENT IN THIS WORLD SO THEY MAY TURN
BACK TO TRUTH OR OTHERS MAY TAKE LESSONS
• ِباَذََعْلا َنِم مُهانَقيِذُنَلَوىَنْدَ ْاْلِباَذََعْلا َُوندَونَُع ِجْرَي ْمُهالََعَل ِرَبْكَ ْاْل-32:21
• And we will surely let them taste the nearer punishment short of
the greater punishment that perhaps they will repent.
3- TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS
• When we are afflicted, we remember that it is ultimately Allāh who controls of our affairs
• Allāh sends us tests to see how we will react and handle them
• ْمَأْمُتْبِسَحْنَأواُلُخْدَتَةانَجْلااامَلَوْمُكِتْأَيُلَثَمَِينذالاا ْوَلَخْنِمِلْبَقْمُكُمُهْتاسَمُءاَسْأَبْلاُءااراضالَوواُل ِزْلُزَوىاتَحَلوُقَيُلوُساالرَِينذالاَو
واُنَمآُهََعَمىَتَمُْرصَنِ ااَّللَّلَأانِإَْرصَنِ ااَّللٌيب ِرَق
• “Do you think you that you will enter Paradise without such [trials] as came to those who
passed away before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so
shaken that even the Messenger and those who believed along with him said, ‘When [will]
the Help of Allāh [come]?’ Yes! Certainly, the Help of Allāh is near!”
• َونَُع ِجْرَي ْمُهالََعَل ِتاَئِياسالَو ِتاَنَسَحْلاِب مُهاَن ْوَلَبَو
We tried them with both good and evil that they might return. Surah Al-A’raf 7:168
TRIALS AND GOOD NEWS FOR SABIREEN
• ُمكانَوُلۡبَنَلَوٍء َۡىشِبَنِمِف ۡوَخۡٱلِوعُجۡٱلَوٍصۡقَنَوَنِمۡمَ ۡٱْلِلَوِسُفنَ ۡٱْلَوِۗترَماثٱلَوِرِشَبَوي ِرِبـاصٱلَن 2:155
• And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and
lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient”
• ِاجَر ِهْيَلِإ اانِإَو ِ ا َِّلل اانِإ واُلاَق ٌةَبي ِصُّم مُهْتَباَصَأ اَذِإ َِينذالاَونَُع-2:156
• Who, when disaster strikes them, say, "Indeed we belong to Allah, and indeed to Him we
• Those are the ones upon whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy. And it is those who are the
PROPHETS OF ALLAH WENT THROUGH TRIALS
The companions once asked the Prophet (sall Allāhu ʿalayhi wa sallam):
• “Oh Messenger of Allāh, who from amongst the people were tested the most? The
Prophet (sall Allāhu ʿalayhi wa sallam) responded and said:
“The Prophets then the next best and then the next best.”
• We see the great Prophet of Allāh, Ayyūb (ʿalayhi al-Salām), was tested with a great illness
• Allāh tells us his story in the Qur’ān:
• َوبُّيَأَوْذِإَىداَنُهابَريِنَأَيِناسَمُّرُّضالَنتَأَوُمَحْرَأَينِم ِاحاالر
• “And Ayyūb, when he called to his Lord, saying ‘Harm has inflicted me and You are the
ايَولُسرَِ َّاّلل , َيأَِاسَّنالَدشأَالءب؟َالق : َُءايِبْن,األ ََّمُثَُلثْماألَاألفَُلثْم
TRIAL OF AYUB (AS)
• He lost everything; his family, wealth, and health.
• Some narrations say he was bedridden for 18 years, tested with a great illness.
• Yet we find he did not give up hope in Allāh and turned to him in this great trial.
• Allāh tells us his story in the Qur’ān:
• َوبُّيَأَوْذِإَىداَنُهابَريِنَأَيِناسَمُّرُّضالَنتَأَوُمَحْرَأاالرَينِم ِاح
• “And Ayyūb, when he called to his Lord, saying ‘Harm has inflicted me and You are the Most
• ۖ ٍرُض نِم ِهِب اَم اَنْفَشَكَف ُهَل اَنْبَجَتْساَفام مُهَلْثِمَو ُهَلْهَأ ُهاَنْيَتآَواَنِدنِع ْنِم ةَمْحَر ْمُهََعىَرْكِذَوَِيندِباََعْلِل-21:84
• “So We answered him and removed his affliction and We gave him his family and the like of them
with them, as a mercy from Us and a reminder to Worshippers.”
4- MERCY , FORGIVENESS AND RAISING THE GRADES
َكِلَذيِف ٌةَصَمْخَم ََّلَو ٌبَصَن ََّلَو ٌأَمَظ ْمُهُبي ِصُي ََّل ْمُهانَأِبْلا ُظيَِْي ائِط ْوَم َونُئَطَي ََّلَو ِ ااَّلل ِليِبَسافُكََّلَو َار
ۚ ٌحِلاَص ٌلَمَع ِهِب مُهَل َبِتُك اَّلِإ َلْيان ٍُودَع ْنِم َونُلاَنَيانِإَينِنِسْحُمْلا َرْجَأ ُُي ِضُي ََّل َ ااَّلل–9:120
That is because they are not afflicted by thirst or fatigue or hunger in the
cause of Allah, nor do they tread on any ground that enrages the
disbelievers, nor do they inflict upon an enemy any infliction but that is
registered for them as a righteous deed. Indeed, Allah does not allow to
be lost the reward of the doers of good.
SABAR ON CALAMITY BRINGS FORGIVENESS FROM ALLAH
• ْمُكيِدْيَأ ْتَبَسَك اَمِبَف ٍةَبي ِصُّم نِم ُمكَباَصَأ اَمَوٍيرِثَك َنع وُفَْعَيَو
• Whatever strikes you of disaster, it is for what your hands have earned, but He
pardons much. Surah Ash-Shura 42:30
• Mus’ad ibn Sa’eed reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be
upon him, said:
َم ِضْرَ ْاْل ىَلَع يِشْمَي ُهَكُرْتَي ىاتَح ِدْبََعْلاِب ُء ََلَبْلا ُحَرْبَي اَمَفٌةَئيِطَخ ِهْيَلَع ا
The servant will continue to be tried until he is left walking upon the earth
without any sin.
Source: Sunan At-Tirmidhi 2398, Grade: Sahih
STATEMENT OF SHURAIH
• Ash-Sha’bi reported: Shuraih, may Allah be pleased with him, said:
• ُْنكَي ْمَل ْذِإ ُدَمْحَأ ٍتاارَم ََُبْرَأ اَهْيَلَع َ ااَّلل ُدَمْحَأَف ِةَبي ِصُمْلاِب ُابَصُ َْل يِنِإْحَأَو اَهْنِم َمَظْعَأُدَمْحَأَو اَهْيَلَع َرْباصال يِنَقَزَر ْذِإ ُدَميِنَقافَو ْذِإ
يِنِيد يِف اَهْلََعْجَي ْمَل ْذِإ ُدَمْحَأَو ِباَواثال َنِم وُجْرَأ اَمِل ِاعَجْرِتْس َِلِل
Verily, if I am afflicted with a calamity, then I praise Allah four times:
• 1- I praise him that it was not worse than it was.
• 2-I praise him when he provides me patience to bear it.
• 3- I praise him when he guides me to supplicate appropriately and hoping for reward, and
• 4- I praise him for not making it a calamity in my religion.
• Source: Siyar A’lam An-Nubula 4/105
Therefore, let us be determined to remain grateful and patient and to praise Allah regardless of
what befalls us.
TAKING NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS
• Taking the necessary means and then relying upon Allah is something which is emphasized in
• “One day Prophet Muhammad (SAW), noticed a Bedouin leaving his camel without tying it. He
asked the Bedouin, ‘Why don’t you tie down your camel?’ The Bedouin answered, ‘I put my trust
in Allah’ The Prophet then said, ‘Tie your camel first, then put your trust in Allah’
• Umar ibn al-Khattab was traveling with a group of companions during his reign. They approached
a town in which it was said had a contagious/infectious disease.
• Umar asked his group whether they should proceed or return (to Madinah). The majority of the
companions said they should go back but some said they should proceed.
• Then one companion said he knew a hadith where the Prophet (SAW) said, “If you hear that this
disease exists in a country, do not travel to that country.”
• So Umar decided that they should go back. Another companion asked him whether he was
running away from Qadar.
• Umar replied that they were moving away from one Qadar to another Qadar.
MANY OF THE HEALTH GUIDELINES GIVEN ARE
IN FACT NORMAL PRACTICES FOR MUSLIMS
• 1. Washing hands: this is a part of ablution, a Muslim’s daily ritual of purity.
• 2. General cleanliness
• The Prophet (sall Allāhu ʿalayhi wa sallam) said:
• ُورُهاطالُرْطَشِانَميِْاْل “Cleanliness is part of faith” Keeping our surroundings tidy,
• 3. Covering your mouth when sneezing
• 4. Quarantine in times of viruses which can spread. Prophet said: “If you hear that it (the
plague) is in a land, do not go there, and if it breaks out in a land where you are, do not
leave, fleeing from it.”
• 5-The Prophet (sall Allāhu ʿalayhi wa sallam) also taught us a dua for protection:
• ِمْسِبِ ااَّللِيذالاََّلُّرُضَيََُمِهِمْساٌءْيَشيِفِضْرَ ْاْلََّلَويِفِاءَماسالَوُهَواسالُُيِمُميِلََعْلا
• “In the name of Allāh with Whose name nothing can harm on earth or in heaven, and He is
the All-Hearing, All-Knowing”
HAVE POSITIVE AND OPTIMISTIC OUTLOOK
• Always have a positive outlook regardless of the situation you’re in
• Prophet Muhammad (SAW) taught us, when he told us:
َحَ ِْل َاكَذ َسْيَلَو ٌرْيَخ ُهالُك ُهَرْمَأ انِإ ِنِمْؤُمْلا ِرْمَ ِْل ابَجَعُءاارَس ُهْتَباَصَأ ْنِإ ِنِمْؤُمْلِل اَّلِإ ٍدَرَكَشَانَكَف
ُهَل ارْيَخ َانَكَف َرَبَص ُءاارَض ُهْتَباَصَأ ْنِإَو ُهَل ارْيَخ
“Amazing is the affair of the believer, verily all of his affairs are good and
this is not for no one except the believer. If something of good/happiness
befalls him, he is grateful and that is good for him. If something of harm
befalls him, he is patient and that is good for him.” Source: Sahih
Muslim 2999, Grade: Sahih
PANDEMIC HAS SHOWN US WE ARE HELPLESS
• Allāh says:
• “Mankind was created weak”
• Situations like this remind us to turn back to Allāh.
• Allāh controls everything and he is the one that can relieve us from our
• We must return to Allāh and seek refuge in him and ask his protection
ACTION ITEMS IN THIS TIME OF STRESS
• Let’s repeat and teach our children and households one of these Prophetic expressions
of seeking forgiveness:
• Astaghfirullāh wa Atūbu ilayhi, at least 100 times a day. (Muslim) ُرِفَْتْسَأَللاَوُوبُتَأَلِإِهْي
• Rabbī Ighfir Lī wa Tub ‘alayya Innaka Anta Attawābu ArRahīm, at least 100 times a day.
( Al-Tirmidhī, Abū Dāwūd, Ibn Mājah) ِب ََْرِفْغا،يِلْبُتَو،ايَلَعَكانِإَتْنَأاواتالُابالرحيم
• Let’s be among those who seek the forgiveness before dawn that God praised in the
• َ ْاْلِب َين ِرِفَْْتْسُمْلاَو َينِقِفنُمْلاَو َينِتِناَقْلاَو َينِقِدااصالَو َين ِرِبااصالِارَحْس-3:17
• The patient, the true, the obedient, those who spend [in the way of Allah ], and those
who seek forgiveness before dawn.
ESTABLISH SALAH AT HOME WITH FAMILY
• 2- Make our living spaces spiritual abodes by designating a place in the
house as a Muṣallā. This is a forgotten Sunnah that the companions of
the Prophet, God bless him and grant him peace, established. Let’s
revive this Sunnah in our homes.
• 3. Perform prayers at the beginning of the time in congregation with an
Adan and Iqama (assign our children to do so). If we can’t pray
together while we are all quarantined in our houses then we surely
have a bigger problem than coronavirus.
4-DON’T MISS SUNNAH PRAYERS BEFORE OR AFTER
THE OBLIGATORY PRAYERS.
• Make it a habit to pray Ḍuḥā prayer after sunrise or by
midmorning as 2, 4, 6, or 8 Raka’āt.
• The Prophet, God bless him and grant him peace, used to say
that the prayer of Ḍuḥā is the prayer of the Awwābīn (repenters).
(Muslim, Ibn Abī Shaybah, al-Ḥākim, Ibn Khuzaymah).
• 4 Raka’at before Dhụhr and 2 after. 2 Raka’āt before Aṣr. 2 Before
Maghrib and 6 after. 2 before Ishā’ and 4 after.
• Make your Witr a Prophetic Witr: 11 Raka’āt before Fajr. If you
can’t wake up, then pray it after Ishā’.
5-QURAN AND ZIKR OF ALLAH
• Read the Qur’ān every day even if just for 15
minutes. It should be done preferably with tafsir.
• Tafsir Halaqa with family, at home or on Zoom.
• Constant Dhikr and remembrance of
Allah Ta’ālā with all kind of expressions while
giving precedence to the expression of
Tawḥīd َّل إله إَّل للا since it is the best expression of
6-ABIDE BY THE ORGANIZATIONAL DISCIPLINE
• Be a good Islamic worker and adhere to your organization’s collective decisions
and regarding gatherings, Jamā’ah prayers, Jumu’ah, social distancing, and
• Our insistence on opinions sometimes appears in an organizational forum and we
• At times of hardship going against the consensus is spiritually damaging even
when we realize that we might be partially right.
• Not all debates have to be won.
• منأطاعاْلميرفقدأطاعني our beloved Prophet (SAW) said..
• “Whoever obeys the leader has indeed obeyed me.” (Muslim, al-Bukhārī)
7-BE GOOD TO SPOUSES AND FAMILY
• The best among us are those who are the best to their spouses.
• Spending more time with each other should add to our compassion
and respect for each other.
• Let us understand that everyone going through this situation is
experiencing a level of anxiety that might affect their normal
• Many of us are not used to staying at home for such a long period.
• Let this be an opportunity to connect with each other and strengthen
the bonds of the family.
• Let’s Fear The Thieves of time
8-ATTEND ON- LINE PROGRAMS
• Attend at least one of the online events that ICNA
is offering even if you know everything that is
known about the religion.
• Showing the sentiments of solidarity by
attending these events encourages those who
spend time preparing and sacrificing their time to
continue their Da’wah work that is necessary for
9-BE AWARE OF DIGITAL WASTELAND
• Fear the thieves for yourselves and your loved ones:
• if we spend all day with WhatsApp, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Netflix and such, we will not be able to do
• In the digital wasteland and on our phones or glued to the TV all day, sharing and re-sharing nonsense makes
us lost, nonsensical and trivial people.
• The last thing we want to find ourselves doing is spreading forgetfulness and heedlessness under the guise of
spreading useful information.
• Let’s not readily and voluntarily enlist as the agents of Shaytan at the time we have to be servants of God.
• Think before you send anything shared with you because you will be asked about it.
• One post a day is too much for those who are busy with all the obligations we all have.
• Let’s be wary of succumbing to the appeals of our lower selves or nafs and finding ourselves losing this great
opportunity with Allah.
• The same advice goes for our children as it is a great opportunity for them to be creative in how they
constructively spend their leisure time
10-GIVE SADAQA (CHARITY)
• Give in charity, no matter how small, to our local and
national ICNA organization and its subsidiaries who
might be going through difficulty meeting the needs of
those who have lost their wages due to the freezing of
• This is both a pandemic and an economic crisis and
sadaqa is our spiritual remedy to financial matters.
11-MUSLIM UMMAH IS LIKE ONE BODY
• An-Nu’man ibn Basheer reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be
upon him, said:
• ِإ ِدَسَجْلا ُلَثَم ْمِهِفُطاََعَتَو ْمِهِمُحاَرَتَو ْمِهِداَوَت يِف َينِنِمْؤُمْلا ُلَثَمَل َىعَادَت ٌوْضُع ُهْنِم َىكَتْشا اَذِب ِدَسَجْلا ُرِئاَس ُهِرَهاسال
• The parable of the believers in their affection, mercy, and compassion for each other
is that of a body. When any limb aches, the whole body reacts with sleeplessness
• Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 5665, Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi
RELIEVING THE HARDSHIP OF BELIEVERS
• Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him,
• ُْرك ُهْنَع ُ ااَّلل َسافَن اَيْنُّدال ِبَُرك ْنِم ةَبُْرك ٍنِمْؤُم َْنع َسافَن ْنَمْنَمَو ِةَماَيِقْلا ِم ْوَي ِبَُرك ْنِم ةَبَْعُم ىَلَع َراسَيَراسَي ٍرِس
ا يِف ُ ااَّلل ُهَرَتَس امِلْسُم َرَتَس ْنَمَو ِةَر ِاآلخَو اَيْنُّدال يِف ِهْيَلَع ُ ااَّللَع يِف ُ ااَّللَو ِةَر ِاآلخَو اَيْنُّدلْلا ََانك اَم ِدْبََعْلا ِن ْويِف ُدْبََع
ِهي ِخَأ ِن َْوع
• Whoever relieves the hardship of a believer in this world, Allah will relieve his
hardship on the Day of Resurrection. Whoever helps ease one in difficulty, Allah
will make it easy for him in this world and in the Hereafter. Whoever conceals the
faults of a Muslim, Allah will conceal his faults in this world and in the Hereafter.
Allah helps the servant as long as he helps his brother.
• Source: Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2699, Grade: Sahih
TREAT ALL HUMANS LIKE YOU LOVE TO BE TEATED
• Abdullah ibn Amr reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and
blessings be upon him, said:
• ِرْدُتْلَف َةانَجْلا َلُخْدَيَو ِارانال َْنع َحَزْحَزُي ْنَأ ابَحَأ ْنَمِم ْوَيْلاَو ِ ااَّللِب ُنِمْؤُي َوُهَو ُهُتايِنَم ُهْكيِتْأَيَو ِر ِخ ْاآل
ِهْيَلِإ ىَتْؤُي ْنَأ ُّب ِحُي اَم ِاسانال ىَلِإ
• Whoever would love to be delivered from the Hellfire and entered into
Paradise, then let him die with faith in Allah and the Last Day, and let
him treat people the way he would love to be treated.
• Source: Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 1844, Grade: Sahih