• Revealed in Madina after the battle of Uhud in Shawwal, AH 3.
• Meaning of the word ‘Saff’- The Row.
• This is 61st Surah of the Quran
• It has 14 verses and 2 sections
• It is one of the group of Surahs called Musabbahaat
• Musabbahaat is the group of Surahs which begin with the
glorification of Allah with the word : Sabbaha or Yusabbihu.
Everything glorifies Allah
• َ ْال يَف اَم َو َتا َاوَمَّسال يَف اَم َ َّ َّلِل َحَّبَسۖ َض ْرُميَكَحْال ُيز َزَعْال َوُه َو-
• Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the
earth exalts Allah, and He is the Exalted in Might, the
• Allah is glorified and praised by everything. We may
not realize their glorification.
• Allah is most mighty and needs no one to help him.
• Allah is most wise so his actions are based upon
wisdom and we may not understand that wisdom
Conflict between claim and action is
• َونُلوُقَت َمَل واُنَمآ َينَذَّال اَهُّيَأ اَيَونَُُعَْْت ََ اَم-61:2
• O you who have believed, why do you say what
you do not do?
• َل اَم واُلوُقَت نَأ ِ هاَّلل َدنِع اًتْقَم َرُبَكَونَََُُْْت-61:3
• Great is hatred in the sight of Allah that you say
what you do not do
4 Signs of hypocrisy or NIFAQ
Abdullah Ibn Umar (RA) reported that the Prophet (SAW)
said, “There are four signs that make someone pure
hypocrite and whoever has them has characteristic of
hypocrisy until he abandons it:
When he speaks, he lies
When he is trusted with something, he is treacherous
When he makes a promise, he breaks it
When he argues, he is wicked
Bukhari, Kitabul-Iman 34
Muslim, Kitabul- Iman 58
Characteristics of struggle for the cause of
• َإَُيَبَس يَف َونَُُتاَقُي َينَذَّال ُُّّ َحُي َ َّاّلِل َّنٌوَُ ْرَّم انَيْنُب مُهَّنَََك ااََْ َه-61:4
• Indeed, Allah loves those who fight in His cause in a row as
though they are a [single] structure joined firmly.
• Fi-Sabeelillah means struggle with sincerity and only for the
sake of Allah
• Saff means their struggle is well planned and organized
• Bunyanum Marsoos means their struggle is done with perfect
unity and steadfastness
• RESULT OF THIS STRUGGLE- Love of Allah and station of being
friend and ally of Allah (SWT)
When does a Jamaah become ‘Bunyanum
When there is unity about common
creed and ultimate goal
High moral character of the
members of the Jamaah
Love for the ultimate goal
Strong resolve to achieve the goal
Warning to Muslims not to follow the path of
• َلاَق ْذَإ َوىَسوُمُذْؤُت َمَل َم ْوَق اَي َهَم ْوَقَلَر يَنَأ َونُمَُْعَّت دَق َو يَنَنوُلوُس
ۖ ْمُكْيَلَإ َ َّاّلِلُق ُ َّاّلِل َغاَزَأ واُغاَز اَّمََُفۚ ْمُهَبوُُْوَقْال يَدْهَي ََ ُ َّاّلِل َوَم
• And [mention, O Muhammad], when Moses said to
his people, "O my people, why do you harm me
while you certainly know that I am the messenger
of Allah to you?" And when they deviated, Allah
caused their hearts to deviate. And Allah does not
guide the defiantly disobedient people.
Example of Isa (Jesus son of Mary)
• وَنَإ َليَئاَرْسَإ يَنَب اَي َمَي ْرَم ُْنبا ىَسيَع َلاَق ْذَإ ََاًقَدََُّم مُكْيَلَإ َ َّاّلِل ُلوُسَر يَْنيَب اَمَل
نَم يَتََْي ٍلوُسَرَب اًرَشَبُم َو َةاَر ْوَّتال َنَم َّيَدَيۖ ُدَمْحَأ ُهُمْسا يَدْعَبمُهَءاَج اَّمََُف
واُلاَق َتَانَيَبْالَباَذَهينَبُّم رْحَس-61:6
• And [mention] when Jesus, the son of Mary, said, "O
children of Israel, indeed I am the messenger of Allah
to you confirming what came before me of the Torah
and bringing good tidings of a messenger to come
after me, whose name is Ahmad." But when he came
to them with clear evidences, they said, "This is
Warning to Muslims
• Do not hurt Prophet Mohammad (SAW) by disobeying
him the way it was done by Bani-Israel
• They knew that Musa (AS) was a Messanger of Allah
and had seen his extra-ordinary miracles yet they
• They also rejected Prophet Isa (Jesus the son of Mary).
• He told them he was a messanger of Allah and
predicted the coming of the last Prophet Ahmad
• They called it clear sorcery.
Allah’s law of granting guidance
• Allah (SWT) does not guide blatant evil doers
• Show stubborn rejection of truth when there
are clear signs
• Reject the truth knowingly
• Alter the truth for paltry price
• Reject the truth due to a prejudice of race,
ethnicity, color, material wealth etc.
Who is most unjust person?
• ِنهمِم ُمَُْظَأ ْنَمَوىَرَتْافَكْلا ِ هاَّلل ىََُعَوُهَو َبِذَىعْدُيَلْسِْاْل ىَلِإۚ ِم
َينِمِلاهظال َم ْوَقْلا يِدْهَي َل ُ هاَّللَو-61:7
• And who is more unjust than one who invents
about Allah untruth while he is being invited to
Islam. And Allah does not guide the wrongdoing
• One who invents lies about Allah (SWT)
• One who is invited to Islam and he rejects it
• Allah (SWT) does not guide such transgressors.
Great news of victory for Islam
• َوْفَََب َ َّاّلِل َورُن واُئَْْطُيَل َُوندي َرُيَو َه َورُن ُّمَتُم ُ َّاّلِل َو ْمَهَهاَه َرَك ْوَل
•They want to extinguish the light of
Allah with their mouths, but Allah will
perfect His light, although the
disbelievers dislike it.
Promise of Allah
• Allah (SWT) declares that the plans of the
opponents of Islam are futile.
• These plans are like blowing at a shining ‘light’
( of Islam) by Allah and will never succeed
• Allah (SWT) is promising that light of Islam will
be perfected (and will prevail) no matter how
much polytheist dislike it
Mission of the Prophet Mohammad (SAW) and
• ُهَلوُس َر َلَس ْرَأ يَذَّال َوُهىَدُهْالَبْظُيَل َقَحْال َينَد َوَه َرَك ْوَل َو َهَُُك َينَالد ىََُع ُه َرَه
• It is He who sent His Messenger with guidance and the
religion of truth to manifest it over all religion,
although those who associate others with Allah dislike
• Prophet Mohammad (SAW) is sent not to compromise
with the polytheists and opponents of Islam
• His mission (and now the mission of this Ummah) is to
struggle and make Al-Islam the prevalent way of life.
Trade with Allah (SWT)
• ْمُكُُّلدَأ ْلَه واُنَمآ َينَذَّال اَهُّيَأ اَيىََُعَتَلَأ ٍُّ اَذَع ْنَم مُكي َنجُت ٍةَارَجٍيم-
• O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a
transaction that will save you from a painful
• Allah (SWT) has no need for any trade.
• This is a loving way of Allah (SWT) to show the
way of real success by presenting example of
Our obligation in this trade deal
َبَس يَف َُوندَهاَجُت َو َهَلوُسَر َو َ َّاّلِلَب َونُنَمْؤُتْمُكَسُْنَأ َو ْمُكَلا َوْمَََب َ َّاّلِل َليْۚمُكَلَذْريَخ
َونُمَُْعَت ْمُتنُك نَإ ْمُكَّل-61:11
[It is that] you believe in Allah and His Messenger and
strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your
lives. That is best for you, if you should know
Our part of this bargain includes:
1. Iman upon Allah
2. Iman upon Rasool of Allah
3- Jihad with belongings 4- Jihad with ourself
Allah’s reward in this bargain
• َيٍتاَّنَج ْمُكُْ َخْدُي َو ْمُكَبوُنُذ ْمُكَل ْرَْْغَم َو ُارَهْنَ ْال اَهَتْحَت نَم ي َرْجَتَنَكاَس
ۚ ٍنْدَع َتاَّنَج يَف ًةَبَيَطَكَلَذْال ُز ْوَْْالُميَظَع-61:12
• He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens
beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in
gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great
ىَرْخُأَوۖ اَهَنوُّب ِحُتْتَفَو ِ هاَّلل َنِم ٌرْصَنٌيب ِرََ ٌحيِنِمْؤُمْلا ِرِشَبَوَن–
And [you will obtain] another [favor] that you love -
victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give
good tidings to the believers.
B-Allah’s part of the bargain includes:
1- Forgiveness of sins
2- Entry into Jannah
3- Elegant mansions in the Jannah
4- Help of Allah in this world
5- Victory soon in this world
Islamic concept of great success
• In worldly terms, success means financial well being
• Some people define success as possessing 5 C’s
1-Cash 2- Car 3- Credit 4- Condominium 5- Country club
• In Quran success is defined as salvation from hellfire
and entry into Jannah with the Mercy of Allah.
• Hadith: Abdullah bin Amar bin Aas reported that the
Prophet (SAW) said: “ Successful is the one who enters
into Islam and is provided sufficient sustenance for his
daily needs and Allah makes him contented what He
bestowed upon him. (Muslim)
O BELIEVERS! BE ANSARULLAH.
• َلاَق اَمَك َ َّاّلِل َارََنَأ واُنوُك واُنَمآ ََينذَّال اَهُّيَأ اَيَينَي َار َوَحَُْل َمَي ْرَم ُْنبا ىَسيَعْنَم
ۖ َ َّاّلِل ىَلَإ ي َارََنَأَالَق
ۖ َ َّاّلِل ُارََنَأ ُنَْحن َُّوني َار َوَحْالَم ةََْئاَّط َتنَمآَفََْئاَّط تَرََْك َو َليَئاَرْسَإ يَنَب نۖ ةَانْدَّيَََف
واُنَمآ ََينذَّالىََُعَين َرَهاَظ واُحَبََََْف ْمَهَُودَع-61:14
• O’you who have believed, be supporters of Allah, as
when Jesus, the son of Mary, said to the disciples,
"Who are my supporters for Allah ?" The disciples
said, "We are supporters of Allah ." And a faction of
the Children of Israel believed and a faction
disbelieved. So We supported those who believed
against their enemy, and they became dominant.
WHO ARE ANSARULLAH!
• The meaning of the word ‘ansar’ is helpers, supporters.�
• When Isa (AS) called out to his nation asking, “who are my helpers for
Allah?” some of them responded by saying, “We are helpers of Allah.” [As-
• They showed their servitude to Allah by offering themselves as “helpers of
• In another place in the Quran Allah says, “O you who believe, if you help
Allah, He will help you and make your feet firm.” [Muhammad 47:7]
• Allah has done so not because He is incapable but to reward humans who
offer themselves to be His helpers.
• Those who offer themselves as helpers of Allah to establish the Divine
guidance among humans are given the station of Ansarullah.