Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Non-Verbal Communication

Assignment submitted by students of 5EEE of batch 2012-16,Amity University.

Members:
Aakash Kumar - A2324612060
Brian H. Francis - A2324612024
Srikant Parasar - A2324612007
Prateek Singh - A2324612050

  • Be the first to comment

Non-Verbal Communication

  1. 1. IN PRESENTATIONS
  2. 2. OUTLINE • Non verbal communication • Characteristics of nonverbal communication • Forms of nonverbal communication • Advantages and disadvantages • Significance • Guidelines • Conclusion
  3. 3. Non Verbal communication is the process of communication through sending and receiving (mostly visible) cues between people. Facial expression Gesture Body language Posture Eye contact Paralanguage
  4. 4. CHARACTERISTICS OF NON VERBAL COMMUNICATIONS • Nonverbal communications is present in most of interpersonal conversations, including communication with the use of emoticons. • Nonverbal communications conveys more information than verbal communication. • It is possible that, in a conversation only 35% of the message is conveyed by the words, the other 65% is conveyed through nonverbal communication
  5. 5. • Due to use of facial expression, hand movements, etc. it is considered above verbal communication • Nonverbal communication is the primary means of communicating emotions . The facial expression show that person is happy or sad. • Nonverbal communication is meta communicative. It includes sign language(kinesics) to give info or gives indication of feelings etc. • Facial expressions, body movements and eye contacts, touching and other behaviors are the major part of nonverbal communications
  6. 6. FORMS OF NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION •FACIAL EXPRESSION •BODY MOVEMENTS AND POSTURES •EYE CONTACT •TOUCH •SPACE •GESTURE
  7. 7. FACIAL EXPRESSION • It is the most commonly used form of communication. • It reflects emotions, feelings and attitudes. • Styles of expression are used worldwide. GESTURE • It includes a persons attitude or movements. • Happy moments shows different gestures than a sad moment.
  8. 8. EYE CONTACT • Staring- Challenges and warnings. • Glances- Socially acceptable timings. • Appraisal- Interest indication. BODY MOVEMENTS & POSTURES • Reaction of an invasion of your space • Getting defensive in a danger situation • Becoming aggressive in adverse situation.
  9. 9. TOUCH • Touch can communicate power, empathy and understanding. • Touch and being touched is essential in life. SPACE • Area around one where no one allowed to enter. • One draws his/her own interpersonal space
  10. 10. ADVANTAGES • Clear explanation Through non-verbal symbols we can support words or verbal communication. • That is, non-verbal symbols provide clear explanation to verbal communication. • Re-state Facial expressions and body movements restate or emphasize our views and opinions.
  11. 11. • Knowledge transfer Non-verbal cues or signals are only way to transfer knowledge to deaf and dumb persons. • Exchange of feeling Non-verbal symbols are natural and efficient tools for exchanging feelings. • Time saving In a busy business center or in a factory executives and supervisions provides information using nonverbal signals
  12. 12. DISADVANTAGES • We can not have long conversation. • We can not discuss the particulars of our message. • It is difficult to understand and requires a lot of repetitions. • It can not be used as a public tool for communication. • It is less influential and can not be used everywhere.
  13. 13. Significance of Non-Verbal Communication • It Conveys Meanings Anywhere in the world 65-93% of the meaning of the message lies in the non-verbal aspect. • It Reflects Unspoken Non-Verbal messages conveys “True Feelings”
  14. 14. Guidelines of the effective non-verbal communication • You can’t read people “Like a Book” • Consider your non-verbal behavior that improve your inter-personal skills • By paying closer attention to people’s unspoken behaviors' • Observe non-verbal messages in clusters • Be cautious while generalizing the non-verbal cues.
  15. 15. CONCLUSION • Nonverbal communication is the very important form of communication. • Way of expressing the feelings is very effective. • It is efficient way to convey message. • Expression, eye contact are most important
  16. 16. REFERENCES http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonverbal_communication www.slidesshare.net
  17. 17. THANK YOU SUBMITTED TO: PARVEEN KUMAR (DEPT. OF COMMUNICATION SUBMITTED BY: SRIKANT PARASAR (A2324612007) BRIAN H. FRANCIS (A2324612024) PRATEEK SINGH (A2324612050) AKASH KUMAR (A2324612060) 5EEE

×