• Non verbal communication
• Characteristics of nonverbal communication
• Forms of nonverbal communication
• Advantages and disadvantages
Non Verbal communication is the process of
communication through sending and receiving (mostly
visible) cues between people.
CHARACTERISTICS OF NON VERBAL
• Nonverbal communications is present in
most of interpersonal conversations,
including communication with the use of
• Nonverbal communications conveys more
information than verbal communication.
• It is possible that, in a conversation only
35% of the message is conveyed by the
words, the other 65% is conveyed through
• Due to use of facial expression, hand movements, etc. it is considered
above verbal communication
• Nonverbal communication is the primary means of communicating
emotions . The facial expression show that person is happy or sad.
• Nonverbal communication is meta communicative. It includes sign
language(kinesics) to give info or gives indication of feelings etc.
• Facial expressions, body movements and eye contacts, touching and
other behaviors are the major part of nonverbal communications
FORMS OF NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION
• It is the most commonly used form of communication.
• It reflects emotions, feelings and attitudes.
• Styles of expression are used worldwide.
• It includes a persons attitude or movements.
• Happy moments shows different gestures than a sad moment.
• Staring- Challenges and warnings.
• Glances- Socially acceptable timings.
• Appraisal- Interest indication.
BODY MOVEMENTS & POSTURES
• Reaction of an invasion of your space
• Getting defensive in a danger situation
• Becoming aggressive in adverse situation.
• Touch can communicate power, empathy and
• Touch and being touched is essential in life.
• Area around one where no one allowed to enter.
• One draws his/her own interpersonal space
• Clear explanation
Through non-verbal symbols we can support words or
• That is, non-verbal symbols provide clear explanation to
Facial expressions and body movements restate or emphasize
our views and opinions.
• Knowledge transfer
Non-verbal cues or signals are only way to transfer knowledge to deaf
and dumb persons.
• Exchange of feeling
Non-verbal symbols are natural and efficient tools for exchanging
• Time saving
In a busy business center or in a factory executives and supervisions
provides information using nonverbal signals
• We can not have long conversation.
• We can not discuss the particulars of our message.
• It is difficult to understand and requires a lot of repetitions.
• It can not be used as a public tool for communication.
• It is less influential and can not be used everywhere.
Significance of Non-Verbal
• It Conveys Meanings
Anywhere in the world 65-93% of the meaning of the
message lies in the non-verbal aspect.
• It Reflects Unspoken
Non-Verbal messages conveys “True Feelings”
Guidelines of the effective non-verbal
• You can’t read people “Like a Book”
• Consider your non-verbal behavior
that improve your inter-personal skills
• By paying closer attention to people’s
• Observe non-verbal messages in clusters
• Be cautious while generalizing the non-verbal
• Nonverbal communication is the very important form of
• Way of expressing the feelings is very effective.
• It is efficient way to convey message.
• Expression, eye contact are most important