Working principle of Rapier
& its essential parts
Presenter: Mr. Ghulam Qadir (12TE59)
Mehran university of engineering
and technology (M.u.e.t) jaMshoro
•What is rapier weaving machine?
•Types of weaving machine?
•Working priciple of rapier weaving
•Essential parts of rapier?
A rapier loom is a shuttle less weaving loom in which the
filling yarn is carried through the shed of warp yarns to the other
side of the loom by finger-like carriers called rapiers.
What is rapier weaving machine?
Types of rapier weaving machine
1-Single Rapier Machines:
• A single, rigid rapier is used in these machines. The rigid rapier
is a metal or composite bar usually with a circular cross section.
• The rapier enters the shed from one side, picks up the filling
yarn on the other side and passes it across the loom width wise.
• The single rapier’s length is equal to the width of the loom.
2- Double Rapier Machines
• Two rapiers are used in these machines one rapier is called
the giver, takes the filling yarn from the yarn accumulator on
one side of the loom, brings it to the center of the machine and
transfers it to the second rapier which is called the taker.
• The taker retards and brings the filling yarn to the other side.
• Similar to the single rapier machines, only half of the rapier
movements are used for filling insertion.
Working principle of rapier machine?
The rapier head picks up the filling yarn and carries it through
the shed. After reaching the destination, the rapier head returns
empty to pick up the next filling yarn.
In some versions of the loom, two rapiers are used, each half
the width of the fabric in size. One rapier carries the yarn to the
centre of the shed, where the opposing rapier picks up the yarn
and which carries the filling the rest of the way across the loom.