Jillian will be discussing strategies and vision that led a small studio in Canada to win some of the most recognizable brands worldwide...and continue to get more. Magmic has been creating Mattel titles for years as well as the popular Rubik’s cube game, among many others. Magmic’s games have been featured by apple on multiple occasions and they have created over 260 mobile games. Jillian will be sharing her insight from the talent, culture and company branding side. She will be going over strategies for hiring, retention, creating an atmosphere of play and motivation as well as the avenues she took to take a company the local and international industry had not heard much of to a more recognizable one that continues to grow and be noticed all over the world.
• A quick Jillian run down!
• Past, current and what’s to come!
• Industry contributes $2.3 billion to Canada’s GDP
• There are 16,500 people currently working in the industry in Canada
from coast to coast, over 325 companies
• Based on the number of employees, Canada has the third largest video
game development industry in the world after US and Japan –the largest
per capita in the world
• 40% of companies predict over 25% growth over the next two years.
• The journey began in 2002….
• And now we have close to 250 titles Created!
MAGMIC: MOBILE SOCIAL LEADER
Over 20 MILLION USERS WORLDWIDE
1,900,000 MONTHLY ACTIVE PLAYERS
500,000 MONTHLY CHATS SENT
39,000,000 MONTHLY SESSIONS
560,000 MONTHLY NEW PLAYERS
11,000,000 MONTHLY MORE FUN VISITORS
(Cross Promotion Network)
An Apple a Day …
Recent Apple features
• Rubik’s Cube
• Mattel Suite of Games: Phase 10, Skip Bo, Blokus
• How do we get them and more importantly, how do we
• P.S..Note the next image is not a party. This is how we
Treat others…as you would like
to be treated .
• Building it is key. Changing it even harder.
• What is our message?
• How do we want to be viewed & how do we
• OIGC (Ottawa International Game Conference)
• Maker Movement
• IGDA (International Game Developers Association)
• Sponsoring & Starting (Java Script and Unity Groups)
• “Get your name in a Game”
• Community, People, Environment.
• Goal: International employee exchanges
• IEASTE (International Association for the Exchange of
students for Technical Experience)