• Mobile advertising - a rapidly growing sector under digital advertising has been
outpacing other sectors and will continue to do so due to the ever increasing
penetration of mobile devices and as a result of easy and affordable internet
• In the last few years, it has only proven to be a boon to advertisers, agencies
and brands by providing an opportunity to connect with consumers on their
current preferred first screen, mobile.
Trends covered in this deck
• Mobile Internet Ad Spending in India
• Global mobile ad spending
stood at approximately 108.9
billion U.S. dollars in 2016.
• Indian mobile internet ad
spending stood at
approximately 347 Million
U.S. dollars in 2016 and is
predicted to reach 1 Billion
U.S. dollars by 2018.
• In India where digital is still
evolving, ad blocking isn’t
rampant but it has started to
pose threats to intrusive
pop-up ad networks.
• Currently the ad blocking
penetration in India is at 2%
of the total internet
population that is about 4
million and this number will
grow rapidly. (Source)
Online video ads
• Online video ads will continue to be in demand
• 2016 was a year of fortune for the online video advertising industry during
which an overwhelming growth of 200% was recorded. (Source)
• The major contributors to the increased consumption of video content is
attributed to the rollout of easy and affordable internet access.
• Continuing customer acquisition wars between Telcom giants will ensure that
2017 will continue to be the year for online video advertising.
• Native will make up 57.4% of
worldwide mobile display advertising
• Native video ads have seen greater
brand lift compared to pre-roll video
ads and are generally seen asless
intrusive according to the
• Native mobile ads also increase
brand awareness and are better for
engagement. (Source) The concept of
native ads is also new and is expected
to pace in the coming years.
Advertising on Mobile Games
• Mobile gaming turned out to be a gold mine for Indian
advertisers as the number of game downloads has
jumped 200% between 2014 and 2016 and the growth
continues to be promising in the near future.
• According to a NASSCOM report, approximately 40 to
50 Million people play games on their mobile devices
and 86% of the total internet users play at least 1 game
• An interesting insight here is that gamers’ in India
prefer to watch In-game video ads (rewarded videos)
rather than make in-app purchases.