• At the end of this course - you will NOT be a GA
• You will be aware of the essentials about GA/GTM
• You will not become an expert in all possible uses
• You will have a decent enough background to
• Introduction to GA
• GA terms and concepts
• Setting up GA
• Dashboard and reporting overview (standard+custom reports)
• Campaign tracking
• Case study - gharofy.com
• GTM - codeless set-up (base tags and event tracking)
History of web “analytics”
Daily unique visitors!
Why GA ?
In God we trust. All others must bring data.
s. It is a shocking habit — destructive to the logical faculty.” - She
GA helps to Collect, process, report and analyse data.GA helps to Collect, process, report and analyse data.
“War is ninety percent information” - Napoleon
a drunken man uses lamp posts – for support rather than for illum
How GA works?
• 4 components - data collection, processing, configuration,
• collection - website uses JS to send “hits”/ mobile app
needs code for each “activity” to be tracked.
• processing - transformation of “hits” from Google servers to
• configuration - applying settings, filters to raw data (for
• reporting - querying processed information.
Some GA concepts:
• dimensions vs metrics
• dimensions: attributes of users/sessions (location, browser etc).
Determines “rows” in a GA report
• metrics: numerical values. Determines entries in each row (for
GA reports). e.g. - bounce rate, page views etc
• Account > property > views. One property per GA tracking
code. Eg- Amazon website and mobile app are two different
properties (both would have separate tracking code).
• Key metrics - definitions (sessions, page views, bounce rate,
unique visitors etc).
GA web UI overview
• Standard reports + report dimensions + advanced
• Custom reports
• Playing with graphs
• Goal setting
• Spreadsheet analysis
• Emails, Social campaigns, banner Ads etc.
• Adding UTM parameters in a URL after “?” helps
you capture campaign details in GA.
Gharofy - case study
• Who is/are a typical user of gharofy?
• What has been their strategy for growing business?
• Suppose you are made the CMO for Gharofy and allocated 100k in marketing
budget. What decisions will you take and why (try to back it up with some data)
• Any suggestions on the content of the pages?
• Highest exit pages?
• How many people went to contact us form?
• What suggestions will you give to the developers for website performance?
• What % of traffic from mobile is direct?
• Container and tags: Container lets users fire numerous tags without
changing a single line of code. Container code needs to be added
just after <body> tag on your HTML. Once a container is added to
your website, you can start adding tags from GTM account.
• variables: Variables are entities like - button ID, dropdown ID. These
variables help us set rules which would trigger certain tags. Eg - if the
ID of a button is “search”, fire a “Search” tag. This would let site
owners track the number of times “search” button was clicked.
• triggers: Triggers are rules that determine when a tag should be fired.
Triggers use variables to set rules.
• debugger: GTM provides a debugger which can be used to check in
real time if a particular event got fired.
In case of doubts and
questions, reach out to me: