November Water Cooler Talk: The Mystery of Domino on Docker - Part 1
Why Use Docker for Managers, Developers, or Administrators - Christian Guedemann, Webgate
Docker Demo from a Developer Perspective - Dan Dumont, HCL
Using Docker for Admins - Roberto Boccadoro, ELD Engineering
For the video go to http://www.openntf.org/webinars
OpNovember Water Cooler Talk: The Mystery of Domino on Docker - Part 1
November Water Cooler Talk: The Mystery of Domino on
Docker - Part 1
• Why Use Docker for Managers, Developers, or
Administrators - Christian Guedemann, Webgate
• Docker Demo from a Developer Perspective - Dan
• Using Docker for Admins - Roberto Boccadoro, ELD
• First Question – Will this be recorded?
• Yes, view on YouTube!!!
• Use the Questions Pane in GoToWebinar
• We will get to your questions at the end of
• The speakers will respond to your questions
• (not in the Questions pane)
• Please keep all questions related to the
topics that our speakers are discussing!!!
• Unrelated Question => post at:
THANKS TO THE OPENNTF SPONSORS
• HCL made a significant contribution to help our
• Funds these webinars!
• Contests like Hackathons
• Running the organization
• Prominic donates all IT related services
• Cloud Hosting for OpenNTF
• Infrastructure management for HCL Domino and Atlassian
• System Administration for day-to-day operation
THIS IS OUR COMMUNITY
• Join us and get involved!
• We are all volunteers
• No effort is too small
• If your idea is bigger than you can do on your own, we
can connect you to a team to work on it
• Test or help or modify an existing project
• Write guides or documentation
• Add reviews on projects / stars on Snippets
What’s in it for me
THE TIME OF CONTAINERS
By Bernhard Fuchs - NYK Virgo, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27657317
This is how we sell it to the procurement
WAS THIS NOT THE STORY BEHIND VM?
Where do I cook my soup?
GIVE MY SERVICE THE RIGHT INFRASTRUCTURE
RUN è ADD My Stuff to the container
CMD è And start it
Build Clone Deploy Run Destroy
DOCKER / CONTAINER … AS IT-MANAGER
• Low cost (Infrastructure / Personal)
• High availability
• Fast recovery
DOCKER / CONTAINER … AS ADMINISTRATOR
• I‘m tired of patching systems
• I‘m tired of having OS / APP and Data on the same VM
• I’m tired to write documentation that are outdated, after the
• I wish to replace OS or APP
• I wish to setup new „Apps“ within minutes
Infrastructure as a Code
Less unused components
DOCKER / CONTAINER … AS DEVELOPER
• I need to tinker a bit with NodeJS, should I setup a server?
• Let‘s test my application on the latest Domino release
(HELLO ADMIN…. I NEED A DOMINO Server)
• Will this Code also work on NodeJS 12?
• My Manager asked me about automated build, how
should I test Jenkins?
Services at your fingertip
Runs on your notebookWorks on your mac
Huge repository of services
WHY IS IT USEFUL ?
• Test a new release
• Test a FP
• Run multiple servers on the same machine
• Have different versions of Domino available
• Create a new server for developers
You can create a new server in literally minutes
WHY IS IT USEFUL ?
More and more products ship on Docker
WE KNOW THERE ARE TWO WAYS
• There is the official HCL image
• There is the Daniel Nashed/Thomas Hampel project
We will talk about the differences in a future webinar
For this webinar I will use the HCL official image
INSTALL DOMINO ON DOCKER
To deploy a new Domino server on Docker:
• Load the domino-docker tar archive file to Docker.
• Create a Docker volume for the Domino data directory.
• Create a temporary container for Domino server setup.
• Create a container to run the Domino server.