The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only
global international organization dealing with
the rules of trade between nations.
WHY AND HOW ?
The clarification, strengthening & extension of
GATT rules saw the creation of the World Trade
Organisation (WTO) on January 1st 1995 and held
out the promise of more effective policing &
enforcement of the global trading system.
• GOODS & SERVICE MEANT FOR
• INDUSTRIES LIKELY TO BE INJURED BY
COMPETITION FROM IMPORTS
• ARTICLES AIMED AT ENSURING FAIR
• PROVISIONS PERMITTING INTERVENTION IN
TRADE FROM ECONOMIC REASONS.
• RAISING STANDARD OF LIVING AND INCOME
• INTRODUCE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
• PROMOTE TRADE FLOWS
• ESTABLISH PROCEDURES FOR SOLVING TRADE
• Administering WTO trade
• Forum for trade negotiations
• Handling trade disputes
• Technical assistance and training
for developing countries
• Cooperation with other
• WTO DICTATES POLICIES
• JOBS ARE DESTORYED AND POVERTY
• SMALL COUNTRIES ARE BECOMING
• WTO IS UNDEMOCRATIC
• COMMERCIAL INTEREST AFFECTS
3. Cost of living
6. Growth and jobs