Leading and Facilitating
1. To enable participants to conduct meetings in a
more effective and confident manner
2. To explore the kinds of dispositions that
contribute positively to meetings
3. To explore and practice core skills and
strategies that contribute to effective meetings
Develop and maintain productive
•Clearly Defined Purpose
•Preparation and Planning
•Positive Conflict = Opportunity
•Sharing of Ideas
Meetings – your experiences?
What has made for good meetings?
What has contributed to bad meetings?
● Timing (when and within the meeting, focused)
● Planning - Agenda - Advance notice
● Attendees - ensure that the necessary people are in
● Room arrangement/Light/Sound/Broadband
● Norms and Protocols
● Chairing/ Steering/ DIrecting
● Documenting Minutes
● Definite Ending (Circle time)
● Passing on / Sharing Information
● Setting Timeline for next meeting
What values, beliefs and attitudes do
you as a leader bring to the meeting?
I have some relevant
people also have
Each of us may
see things others
People are trying
to act with
Why are you having this
• Information sharing / Consultation?
• Plan work?
• Solve a problem?
• Learn from one another?
• Review / evaluation?
• Decision making?
• Create buy-in?
• Type of Meeting
• Prior Consultation
• Plan / Agenda
• Room Arrangements
• Prepare to Share
What are the key skills ?
Preparation is done and you are
ready to go..........
• Accept that conflict is going to happen
• Deal with one issue at a time
• Choose the right time to resolve the conflict
• Avoid reacting to unintentional remarks
• Avoid quick resolutions
• Agree to disagree
• Do not insist on being right
• Avoid expanding the problem
Creative Ways to Deal with
Staying on track
• What happens
when the team
does not stay on
• What would you
Commitment to action
Follow up actions
What Who When