Smart School Start
Things That Rock!
Estimated time: 30 minutes
by Marlena Hebern
Establish a positive climate
Students begin to build rapport with one another
Students feel like they are a part of the class
Light and meaningful social activity perfect for
establishing and practicing “quiet” signals.
Students have fun
Get to know what your class thinks about
In self contained classes:
Do this as a school wide activity
In departmentalized classes:
Do this for each period
How to Set Up the Activity:
• Mark one side of the room as Lame and the other end as Rocks.
• Students physically move to the side of the room to identify with
their view on the topic.
• Allow students to move on the continuum.
• Choose students to give their reasons for their position.
• Move on to the next topic and repeat!