Technical Consulting for Introverted Developers (Python, R, Data Science, Java)
Consulting for Introverted Developers
● School / work in Bay Area
for 8 years
● Ran Utah Python for 5 years
● Author of multiple Python
and Pandas books
● O'Reilly video author &
● Corporate training &
● UofU / Stanford Professional
● Get technical people really understanding Python
● Get Python programmers grokking intermediate &
● Get technical people training on Data Stack (SQL,
Pandas, Machine Learning, Jupyter, Viz)
● Consulting (AI route planning, Loan delinquency, Course
classifcation & churn, Code review, MVP for commercial
real estate marketplace, Architecting ad reporting and
There is more than enough work to go around
"There once was a young man whose friend was
speaking at all of the conferences and he wasn't..."
Attending a conference is mostly a waste for me
Speaking at a conference is completely different
My best pro tip for introverts at conferences is: be
It sounds wild, but you get time to practice and
plan ahead of time, and then people will
approach you and you'll already have something
to talk about.
I expect to get business from this talk
Source of Work
I get pitched all the time on LinkedIn, but 90%+ of
my work is from my network or conference work
Onion Skin of (Open Source)
● Heard of
● File bugs/use mailing list
● Submit PR
Onion Skin of Participation
Let me tell you the story of a colleague who
wanted to become a Core Python committer...
Become a Leader
"Effectiveness of Public Work"
● Contribute to Open Source
● Give Talks
● Record Screencasts
● Write a Book
Invest in Self
● Get enough sleep
● Mental Health
The secret to becoming a better developer?
Get more sleep.