Why use social media marketing
• provide an overview of the presented monitoring tools and platforms’
• offer insights on the technology employed, on the basic features they
provide as well as their limitations;
• insight of the features provided by ten of the most important social
media monitoring tools available commercially
• provide a framework for future evaluations of such tools.
• event detection, issue- and crisis-management;
• competitor analysis;
• trend- and market-research plus campaign-monitoring;
• influencer detection and customer relationship management;
• product- and innovation-management.
Free tools - Minuses
• Free tools are also free of service.
• There is no contact person answering questions on functions or underlying
• There is no guarantee concerning the availability of the service.
• Functions are often limited to quantitative/statistical reports.
• Complex analysis (e.g. automated sentiment detection) may not be available for
languages other than English.
• Many are point solutions considering few or only one platform (e.g. Twitter).
• Services that claim searching the entire web do not reveal which sources are
• really included.
• To get a comprehensive overview several free services must be
• Results of free tools have to be saved and archived in user-defined structures and
• Workflow-functionality is usually not available.
• Social media offers new opportunities for enterprises
– Monitoring conversations
– Actively participating and providing content on social media platforms
– Engage in conversations with the customer
• Choosing the right tools is a key factor in social media marketing