5 KEY TRAITS OF A GREAT
BY STEVE VIRGADAMO
• A great Catholic teacher has the qualities that signify great
teachers in any other ﬁeld, be it of a religious nature or another
• In addition to being adept at teaching religion, a Catholic teacher
must be adept at communicating and connecting with others.
• Above all things, teaching religion to others is an exercise in fully
empathizing with others and touching their hearts.
• The following key traits are essential for a Catholic teacher to be
capable of making in order to connect with others and facilitate a
true enlightenment of the spirit.
A COMMITMENT TO SERVING
• Before anything else, the priest needs to be willing to
devote his energies to the service of others before himself.
• A priest must be unfailingly committed to sharing the sum
of his knowledge with others for their sake.
• A priest is not just a teacher of the faith, but a designated
saver of souls.
• Being in a business of soul saving means that a priest
makes it their unending mission, ﬁrst and foremost, to
always prioritize helping others with no exceptions.
A CONSTANT DESIRE TO LEARN
• Though they may be a teacher, a great priest is still always an
eager student at heart. No matter how much they may already
know about the faith, there is always something else that they'll
be seeking to discover.
• Priests who are perpetually learning will oftentimes learn from
one another as well.
• The constant pursuit of more knowledge should be carried out
not as an aim to know more than all else, but rather for the
passion of being able to share more with those who would
beneﬁt from it.
A HEALTHY, MINDFUL ENERGY ROOTED
IN HEALTHY, MINDFUL THINKING
• The energy that a great priest can share with those
they teach will be one that mirrors the energy
• To ensure that they are always sharing the highest
quality of energy, great priests will make it a
necessity to always foster the habits that are
conducive to healthiness and mindfulness.
RESPECT FOR ALL
• The virtues that the teacher professes should never be
communicated with self-righteousness.
• Even when guiding those who have made considerable
mistakes, the great priest will have a level of respect for
them that equals any other who comes forth for
• The great teacher has an unbreakable capacity for
treating people from all backgrounds as worthy of
WILLINGNESS AND STRONG
ABILITY TO WORK WITH OTHERS
• No priest can operate as a lonely mountain.
• While being capable of spending time alone can
be useful, the priest must be a capable team
player who can collaborate effectively with all
other members of the church regarding important
• A great priest will never be so prideful in his
knowledge that he neglects cooperation.
• Priests have many different styles, but the best
display the exemplary common denominators that
make them a ﬁt for the task.
• Respect, cooperation, commitment to service,
mindfulness, and an unending desire to learn are
all the keystones of great religious teachers.