Biochemistry is the study of the structure and function of biological molecules such as proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates and lipids.
Biochemistry is the study of the chemistry of living things. This includes organic molecules and their chemical reactions.
Biochemistry deals with body substance like enzymes, carbohydrates, amino acids, fats, proteins, hormones, DNA, RNA, pigments etc.
The major objective of biochemistry is the complete understanding of all chemical processes associated with living cells at the molecular level. Some of the objectives can be listed as follows:
1. Isolation, structural elucidation and the determination of mode of action of biomolecules.
2. Identification of disease mechanisms.
3. Study of in born errors of metabolism.
4. Study of oncogenes in cancer cells.
5. The relationship of biochemistry with the genetics, physiology, immunology, pharmacology, toxicology etc.
Biochemistry is related to almost all the life sciences and without biochemistry background and knowledge, a through understanding of health and well-being is not possible.