Successfully reported this slideshow.
Use the RIGHT
To increase your speed
without sacrificing quality
• Time – never enough
• Quality – can’t be perfect
• Information - incomplete, inaccurate, inconsistent from
one source to another
• Emotions -
• frustration - goals seem impossible
• confusion, standards keep changing
• apathy - I don’t get a byline, I’m not listed as a media
contact so why does it all matter?
• Absurdity - clients are insane, sales reps are hit and miss
on their product knowledge, production demands keep
changing, it all rolls downhill on you
© hibu plc 2012 2
• Time – you’re developing speed, a key skill
• Quality – you’re developing quality, a key trait
• Information – you’re developing product and service
knowledge across a wide array of fields and it’s a big
company; you’re building knowledge that could help you
work in another department
• Emotions - That’s what Grooveshark is for! Or Pandora!
• Absurdity - $2 beers at Fox and Hound every Tuesday!!!
© hibu plc 2012 3
Quality Management = Develop a personal
strategy for how you’ll attack each type of site
Not just spelling and grammar but word choice
Choose vivid, enticing words as much as possible
KEY: Think of a scenario in advance – this
should activate the right words in your brain so
that you don’t have to THINK as much or as hard
© hibu plc 2012 4
Marine engineers scenario: rescue operation / into the depths
© hibu plc 2012 5
Keep your project afloat
© hibu plc 2012 6
© hibu plc 2012 7
Shield your windows and your wallet
Hurricane season means that sooner or later debris will come flying at your windows. Protect
yourself from broken glass, hazardous clean up and the costs of new windows by installing hurricane
shutters. Call for your FREE ESTIMATE today.
Get professionally replaced windows
when high winds wipe them out
If mishap strikes and Mother Nature destroys your windows, call us for your FREE ESTIMATE on
getting replacement windows. We can also replace your doors and gutters. Call us for tear outs
Turn your window into its own spectacular view
Want to give your room the sweep and grandeur of a great view? Don't move! Call Made in The
Shade Inc. for custom window treatments that give your room the style and elegance that will
impress your guests every time.
Mill Creek Manor
Following scenario all the way through
© hibu plc 2012 8
Mill Creek Manor Menu Page
This just develops the theme further
© hibu plc 2012 9
And still more…
Vivid imagery – “sharpen your sweet tooth”
© hibu plc 2012 10
D M Campsey Seed & Feed
Alliteration and Rhyme also help = “one-stop shop” and “seed
and feed needs”
© hibu plc 2012 11
Word Choice matters
© hibu plc 2012 12
• Use QAF 644 for complex, sensitive or content-poor
• You can find it at this link at the bottom:
• Minimize the time you need to think or categorize topics
© hibu plc 2012 13
Attack the site strategically = write the elements that do the
heavy lifting FIRST
• Page Names
• These should come from the PBC doc
• Callouts = come from your benefits
• Bullet points = come from your features/products/services
= generate your subhead
• Hero / Lead = devote most of your time to this
These three bolded items write your entire site.
© hibu plc 2012 14
DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK
• Write first. Edit later.
• Check spelling and grammar AFTER you’ve written the site.
• You can’t write AND edit WELL at the same time.
• Each tasks requires different sections of your brain and these sections
normally don’t work well together.
• A good hint from Quality Review was read the copy backward if you
have to in order to trick your brain into reading it afresh.
• Check spelling and grammar BEFORE you proof
• Why? Time will have passed between when you wrote it and when
you got it back.
• Hopefully the copy will seem fresher to you.
© hibu plc 2012 15