Presentation on Azim Premji, his early life and career, his philanthropist activities, how he made a small company of his father into one of the richest company of the world and becoming the second richest man in the world.
• Born on 24 July 1945.
• An Indian business tycoon, investor,
engineer, and philanthropist.
• Chairman of Wipro Limited.
• Known as Czar of the Indian IT industry.
• Responsible for guiding Wipro through
• Emerged as one of the global readers in
the software industry.
• Currently the second richest person in
• Net worth US$21.5 billion(as of May
• Is married to Yasmeen and together they
have two children, Rishad and Tariq.
• Premji has a Bachelor of Science in
Electrical Engineering degree from
Stanford University, USA.
• The Western Indian Vegetable Products Ltd,
later became Wipro Ltd.
• Earlier Wipro dealt in hydrogenated oil
manufacturing but Premji diversified it to
bakery fats, ethnic ingredient based
toiletries, hair care soaps, baby toiletries,
lightning products and hydraulic cylinders.
• Recognizing the importance of the
emerging IT field, Premji made a focused
shift from soaps to software.
• In the 1980s Wipro entered the IT field.
• After the expulsion of IBM from India,
Wipro started manufacturing
minicomputers under technological
collaboration with an American company
Sentinel Computer Corporation.
• The $1.5 million company in hydrogenated
cooking fats grew within to an over $6
• Became the world’s first to win PCMM
Level 5(People Capability Maturity Model)
certification, the latest in quality standards.
• One of the Greatest Entrepreneurs by Business
• An honorary doctorate by the Manipal Academy
of Higher Education in 2000.
• Lakshya Business Visionary by National Institute
of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai in 2006.
• An honorary doctorate from Wesleyan University
in Middletown, Connecticut in 2009.
• An honorary doctorate by Mysore University in
• Padma Bhushan by Government of India in 2005.
• Padma Vibhushan in 2011.
• In April 2017, India Today magazine ranked him
9th in India’s 50 most powerful people of 2017
• In 2001, Premji founded Azim Premji
Foundation with a vision to achieve quality
• In 2010, he pledged to donate US$2 billion
for improving school education in India.
• In 2019, Premji pledged an additional 34%
of Wipro stock held by him to the
• Transferred 213 million equity shares of
Wipro Ltd-largest donation of its kind in
• The Azim Premji University was established
in 2010 under an act of the Karnataka
• Its main motto is to, “work towards a just,
equitable, humane and sustainable society.”
• The University offers undergraduate and
post-graduate courses in education and in
• Research and projects to obtain an honours
• Premji has said that being rich “did not thrill”
• Became the first Indian to sign up for The
Giving Pledge, a campaign led by Warren
Buffett and Bill Gates, to encourage the
wealthiest people to make a commitment to
give most of their wealth to philanthropic
• According to Premji, “I strongly believe that
those of us, who are privileged to wealth,
should contribute significantly to try and create
a better world for the millions who are far less
• Azim Premji retired this Tuesday as the Executive
Chairman and Managing Director of Wipro on
• Premji will pass the baton over to his son Rishad
on July-end after leading the charge at the
company for over five decades.
• Wipro also announced its CEO Abidali Z
Neemuchwala as its new Managing Director.
• Premji will continue to serve on the Board of
Wipro as Non-Executive Director and Founder
• He will be taking his time for philanthropic
activities post retirement.
Presented By – Amandeep Kaur
Vaibhav Kumar Dubey
Shivalik Institute of Management
Education And Research