Hello Fall, Hello New Leads: 5 google ads tips to get the most out of your budget
Hello New Leads:
5 Google Ads Tips to Get the
Most Out of Your Budget
Hosted by: Michael Owen
WordStream has partnered with
LOCALiQ to deliver results-focused,
services to help local businesses
unlock measurable business growth.
Wordstream Digital Strategist
Specialize in Google Search + Display
● The webinar will be recorded.
● Check your inbox for the materials.
● Submit your questions for the Q&A segment!
5 Tips For Google Ads Success
1. Leverage network targeting
2. Implement device, location, and demographic adjustments
3. Understand your spend
4. Utilize the search terms report
5. Adapt to your business goals
Recommendations are made based on the
assumption that conversion tracking is
Evaluate Performance on Display and Search Partner Networks
Check before taking action
● Observe your data from a 90-day window to see true data
Google Search has most purchase intent
● If your goal is conversions, put yourself in user’s shoes
and think of where they would go!
2. Device, Location,
Device Bid Adjustments
• Understand where your traffic
• Consider your website usability
• Incremental adjustments, 5-10%
Positive or Negative!
• Household Income
• **Update to housing,
employment, and credit
advertising policies 10/19/2020
Investigate your data BEFORE making these changes
● Observe a 90 or 30 day window, and understand your spend
Make these adjustment to always follow your leads and goals
● Consider seasonal shifts in business
“Follow the Money”
• Start at campaign level, and follow the highest spend all the way
to a keyword (and it’s search terms report)
• Is it the best possible traffic you want? If it is not, then changes
need to be made!
Understanding Your Spend
$100 x 30.4 = $3,040
$100 Daily Budget
30 Day Window
Steps You Can Take to Minimize Wasted Spend
• Move under-spending ad groups to new campaign
• Manual bidding? Adjust your bids
• Add negatives to that ad group
• Pause high spender, but allow time to re-learn
Take a step back and see where your spend goes
● Observe a 90 or 30 day window, and understand your
Make sure your budget is spent where it is most opportunistic
● It’s okay to sacrifice short-term data for long-term results
Google’s Search Terms Report
• The search terms report is a feature within your Google Ads
account that allows you to see exactly which search terms
triggered your ads to appear, as well as how closely those terms
relate to the keywords your ad is targeting.
Google’s Recent Search Terms Report Update
• "Starting September 2020, the search terms report only includes
terms that a significant number of users searched for, even if a
term received a click. You may now see fewer terms in your
report." - Google
What This Search Terms Report Update Means For You
• Every query counts
• Like what you see
• Remove any weeds
Research Intent vs. Purchase Intent
• Can you look at your queries and understand what is top of
funnel, more research intent traffic, and what is more low
funnel, purchase-driven traffic?
Watch for Branded or Non-Converting Traffic
• Branded + Non-Branded terms should
not share the same budget
• Competitor names
Google is limiting our data, so make it count!
● Be confident that what you see is best possible traffic
Always be sure the “Pros” outweigh the “Cons”
● You need to like more of the queries you see than
Shift in Business Means Shift in Strategy
• COVID-19 is forcing change on us
• Has your business shifted? So should your account!
Examples of Shifting Strategy
• Commercial carpet cleaning
• Renting industrial equipment
• Dentists shift to whitening
Put your budget where your current business is
● Don’t keep pushing something that isn’t there
Don’t be afraid to move budgets, even if temporarily
● Current uncertainties don’t have an end date, so
waiting is wasteful!