• Name Roll No.
• Charmi Dharod 6
• George D’souza 8
• Shraddha Gaur 10
• Yash Gupta 11
• Pratik Manjrekar 21
• Dilkhush Parmar 30
• Abhishek Tanna 39
• A Bank is a financial institution whose primary activity is
to act as a payment agent for customers and to borrow and
• Banks are important players in financial markets and offer
financial services such as investment funds.
• In some countries such as GERMANY, banks are the
primary owners of industrial corporations .
• While in other countries such as the UNITED
STATES banks are prohibited from owning non-financial
BANKING IN INDIA
• Banking in India originated in the last decades of the 18th
• The first banks were THE GENERAL BANK OF INDIA,
which started in 1786, and BANK OF HINDUSTAN, both of
which are now defunct.
• The oldest bank in existence in India is the STATE BANK OF
INDIA, which originated in the BANK OF CALCUTTA in
• The first fully Indian owned bank was the ALLAHABAD
BANK, established in 1865
MAJOR PLAYERS IN INDIA
• State Bank of India
• HDFC Bank
• ICICI Bank
• HSBC Bank
• IDBI Bank
• City Bank
• Axis Bank
• Punjab National Bank
• ING Vysya Bank
• Union Bank of India
• HDFC Bank Limited is an Indian financial
services company based in Mumbai , Maharashtra that
was incorporated in August 1994.
• The first largest bank by Market Capitalization as of
November 1, 2012.
• As on May 2013, HDFC Bank has 3,062 branches and
10,743 ATMs, in 1,568 cities in India.
• It was among the first companies to receive an 'in
principle' approval from the Reserve Bank of India
(RBI) to set up a bank in the private sector.
• Times Bank Limited (owned by Bennett, Coleman &
Co./The Times Group) was merged with HDFC Bank Ltd.,
on February 26, 2000. This was the first merger of two
private banks in India.
• On May 23, 2008 HDFC Bank acquired Centurion Bank
of Punjab taking its total branches to more than 1,000.
• HDFC Bank was the first bank in India to launch an
International Debit Card in association with VISA (Visa
Electron) and issues the Master Card Maestro debit card
VISION & MISSION
To be customer driven best managed enterprise that enjoys
market leadership in providing housing related finance.
To provide a package of attractive financial services for
housing purposes through a competent and motivated team of
employees using the state of the art technology to maintain
financial stability and growth of the organization whilst
contributing to the national goal of providing decent housing
• Increasing market share in India’s expanding banking.
• Delivering high quality customer service.
• Delivering more products to more customers.
• Maintaining current high standards for asset quality
through disciplined credit risk management.
• Develop innovative products and services that attract
targeted customers and address inefficiencies in the
Indian financial sector.
• Travellers Cheques : Travellers Cheques are a safe and
easy way to protect your money when you travel. You can
encash them only when you need to, and only against your
signature, unlike cash which can be stolen and misused by
• Credit Card : Credit Card can be used for all your
requirements, be it shopping, eating out, holidaying, fuelling
up your vehicle, railway ticket reservations - just about any
financial requirement, planned .
• Home loan : Home loans for individual to purchase or
• Personal Loans : The procedure of personal loan is simple,
documentation is minimal and approval is quick.
• Foreign Currency Cash : Foreign Currency Cash is a convenient
way of meeting personal expenses along your journey, paying for
taxis / internal travel, food expenses etc.
• Foreign Currency Demand Drafts : Demand Drafts are issued in
seven currencies like United States Dollars (USD), Great Britain
Pounds (GBP), EURO, Japanese Yen (JPY), Australian Dollars
(AUD), Canadian dollars (CAD) and New Zealand Dollars (NZD).
• Foreign Currency Cheque Deposits : We can directly deposit our
foreign currency cheques in to our saving or current account.
• Remittances : HDFC Bank offers the remittance facilities by
which we can send and receive money to anyone. They are
categorized depending on location and the urgency with which we
want the money transferred.
• Trade Service : HDFC Bank have people with high level
of expertise and experience in trade services to provide
services to suit specific requirements and structure
solutions for business needs.
• HDFC Bank have 500 branches for trade services.
• Mutual funds : Mutual funds are funds that pool the
money of several investors to invest in equity or debt
• Insurance : HDFC Bank offers a world of choice in
insurance. Like – children future plans, retirements plans,
standard life, etc.
• HDFC Bank, the second largest private sector Bank in India
has been named Organisation of the Year at the Skoch
Financial Inclusion Awards 2013
• Bank has been recognised as the Best in the Banking sector by
the ‘Dun & Bradstreet – Bharathi Cement Corporate Awards
• Mumbai, September 7, 2012: HDFC Bank, India's second
largest private Bank has featured in the prestigious Forbes
Asia's ‘Fab 50' list of companies.
• Bank has won the NASSCOM CNBC-TV18 IT Innovation
Award for the BEST IT DRIVEN INNOVATION IN
BANKING (COMMERCIAL) in the VERTICAL
• Launch 250 new branches.
• HDFC Bank plans to raise Rs 4,200 crore in capital.
• Relocate branches to un-banked rural Punjab.
• HDFC Bank plans to set up NBFC.
• Demographics variables
- Metros & divisional cities
- Business person
- Salaried class (both govt. & private)
- Senior citizens
• psychographic variables
Lifestyle- People who believes in modern banking with higher set of service
i. e. internet banking (incontact, mobile refill, travel currency card etc.)
• Target market
• Corporate banking market : this market target the
industries & fulfill their financial needs.
• Capital market : this segment is targeted on the long
term needs of the individual as well as of industries.
• Retail banking market : this segment is for retail
investors & provide them short term financial credit for
their personal, house hold needs.
• HDFC Bank has positioned itself as a bank which gives higher
standard of services through product innovation for the diverse need of
individual & corporate clients. So they want to highlight following
points in their positioning segment :
• The authorized capital of HDFC Bank is Rs550 crore
• The paid-up capital is Rs424.6 crore (Rs.4.2 billion).
• The HDFC Group holds 19.4% of the bank's equity
• Roughly 28% of the equity is held by Foreign Institutional
Investors (FIIs) and the bank has about 570,000
SWOT ANALYSIS OF HDFC
• ‡ One of the leading new age private sector bank
• HDFC Bank has over 1700 branches and over 5000 ATMs,
in 780 cities in India,
• Huge employee base i.e more than 51000 employees
• Large collaborations with corporate for employee salary
• Rural penetration is low.
• Lesser no. of branches when compared with its competitors.
• Mobile banking, Internet banking
• Venturing into rural areas
• Providing more complex products to the ever increasing
demands of the industry
• New banking licenses
• Foreign banks that offer complex products
OPERATION RED SPIDER
• On 14 March 2013 an online magazine
named Cobrapost.com released video footage
from Operation Red Spider showing high
ranking officials and some employees of
HDFC bank willing to turn black money into
white which is violation of Money
Laundering Control Act
• Following this the government of
India and RBI have ordered an inquiry
• The enquiry confirmed violation of KYC
(Know Your Customer) norms by HDFC
Bank. A penalty of Rs 45 million was
imposed on the bank by RBI