ِِﯾمﺣٱﻟرﱠ ِن ٰﻣْﺣٱﻟرﱠ ِ ّٰ ٱ ِمِْﺳﺑ
In the name of Allah, the merciful, the compassionate
Al-Mulk / Sovereignty
Chapter 67 with 30 verses
In the name of God, the infinitely Compassionate and Merciful.
Praise be to God, Lord of all the worlds.
The Compassionate, the Merciful.
Ruler on the Day of Reckoning.
You alone do we worship, and You alone do we ask for help.
Guide us on the straight path,
the path of those who have received your grace;
not the path of those who have brought down wrath, nor of those who wander astray.
ِِﯾمﺣاﻟرﱠ ِنَﻣْﺣاﻟرﱠ ِ ﱠﷲ ِمِْﺳﺑ
َِﯾنﻣَﻟﺎَْﻌﻟا بﱢَر ِ ﱠ ِ ُدْﻣَْﺣﻟا
ِنﱢﯾداﻟ ِم َْوﯾ ِِكﻟَﺎﻣ
ُِﯾنﻌَﺗَْﺳﻧ َﱠﺎكﯾِإ َو ُدُﺑَْﻌﻧ َﱠﺎكﯾِإ
َمِﯾﻘَﺗُْﺳﻣْﻟا َاطَﱢرﺻاﻟ َﺎﻧِدْاھ
َﱢﯾنﻟﱠﺎﺿاﻟ َﻻ َو ْمِﮭْﯾَﻠَﻋ ِبُوﺿَْﻐﻣْﻟا ِْرﯾَﻏ ْمِﮭْﯾَﻠَﻋ َتْﻣَْﻌﻧَأ َِﯾنذﱠﻟا َاطَر ِﺻ
ﺔَِﺣﺗَﺎﻔاﻟ ُةَﱡورﺳ / Al-Fatihah / The Opening
Chapter 1 with 7 verses
● Malik-ul-Mulk (The Owner of all Sovereignty): one of 99 names of Allah SWT
● Meccan surah - revealed before migration of the Messenger of Allah (peace
and blessings of Allah be upon him), in 622 CE.
● The start of the twenty ninth juz’ of the Holy Quran.
● Also known as Tabarak (the Bountiful), al-Waqiyah (the Protector),
al-Munjiyya (the Rescuer), and al-Mani’a (the Defender).
Surah starts with: “Tabarakallazi biyadihil mulk, sharikalahu, lahul mulku wa lahul hamdu, wahuwa ala kulli
“Blessed be He who has the Kingdom in His hand! He has power over all things.”
It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet
(peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:
“A surah from the Qu’ran containing thirty verses
will intercede for a man so that he will be forgiven.
It is surah Tabarakaladhi bi yadihi’l-mulk [ie. Surat
It was narrated that Abd-Allah ibn Mas’ood said:
Whoever reads Tabarakaladhi bi yadihi’l-mulk [ie.
Surat al-Mulk] every night, Allah SWT will protect
him from the torment of the grave.At the time the
Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah
be upon him) we used to call is al-maani’ah (that
It was narrated from Abdullah Ibn ‘Abbas reported
that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be
upon him) said: “It is my desire/love that Surahtul
Mulk should be in the heart of every Muslim.”
It was reported by Ruhul Ma’aani, Ibn
Mardawayah, that the Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The person
who reads Tabarakaladhi bi yadihi’l-mulk & Alif
laam tanzeel between Maghrib & Isha, the reward
will be as though he had stood awake during
Verse 1 & 2
ٌﺮِﯾﺪَﻗ ٍءَْﻲﺷ ﱢﻞُﻛ َٰﻰﻠَﻋ َﻮُھَو ُﻚْﻠُﻤْﻟا ِهِﺪَﯿِﺑ ِيﺬﱠﻟا َكَرَﺎﺒَﺗ
ُرُﻮﻔَﻐْﻟا ُﺰِﯾﺰَﻌْﻟا َﻮُھَو ۚ ًَﻼﻤَﻋ َُﻦﺴَْﺣأ ْﻢُﻜﱡﯾَأ ْﻢُﻛَﻮُﻠْﺒَﯿِﻟ َةَﺎﯿَْﺤﻟَاو َتَْﻮﻤْﻟا َﻖَﻠَﺧ ِيﺬﱠﻟا
1. Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Sovereignty and He is Able to do all things (Powerful).
2. [He] who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in
Might, the Forgiving.
1. Divine attributes
2. Origin of existence, Purpose and Divine attributes
- (mentions death first before life, meaning afterlife)
Verse 3 & 4
َٰىﺮَﺗ ْﻞَھ َﺮَﺼَﺒْﻟا ِﻊِﺟَْﺎرﻓ ۖ ٍتُوَﺎﻔَﺗ ِﻦﻣ َِﻦٰﻤْﱠﺣﺮاﻟ ِﻖْﻠَﺧ ِﻲﻓ َٰىﺮَﺗ ﱠﺎﻣ ۖ ًﺎﻗَﺎﺒِط ٍتَاوَﺎﻤَﺳ َﻊْﺒَﺳ َﻖَﻠَﺧ ِيﺬﱠﻟا
ٌﺮﯿِﺴَﺣ َﻮُھَو ًﺎﺌِﺎﺳَﺧ ُﺮَﺼَﺒْﻟا َﻚْﯿَﻟِإ ِْﺐﻠَﻘَﻨﯾ ِْﻦﯿَﺗﱠﺮَﻛ َﺮَﺼَﺒْﻟا ِﻊِﺟْار ﱠﻢُﺛ
3. Who hath created seven heavens in harmony and you can see no flaw in the Creation of the Most Gracious.
Then, behold again: "Can you see any rifts?"
4. Then return [your] vision twice again. [Your] vision will return to you humbled while it is fatigued.
3. Solar system in layers, galaxies obeying consistent rules and law
4. Urging to observe several times and study the creation
- Humbleness & exhaustion denotes reaction while seeking answers
ِﺮِﯿﻌﱠﺴاﻟ ََابﺬَﻋ ْﻢُﮭَﻟ َﺎﻧْﺪَﺘْﻋَأَو ۖ ِﯿﻦَِﺎطﯿﱠﺸﱢﻠﻟ ًﺎﻣﻮُُﺟر َﺎھَﺎﻨْﻠَﻌََﺟو َِﯿﺢﺑَﺎﺼَﻤِﺑ َﺎﯿْﻧﱡﺪاﻟ َءَﺎﻤﱠﺴاﻟ ﱠﺎﻨﱠﯾَز ْﺪَﻘَﻟَو
5. And we have certainly beautified the nearest heaven with stars and have made [from] them what is thrown
at the devils and have prepared for them the punishment of the Blaze.
- َﺎﯾْﻧﱡداﻟ َءَﺎﻣﱠﺳاﻟ al-sama’ al-dunya (the lowest / the nearest heaven)
- ًﺎﻣُوﺟُر rujum (arrows / missiles)
- َِﯾﺢﺑﺎََﺻﻣِﺑ bimasabih (lamp / stars)
a) Sun is a star (lamp)
b) Our galaxy is the considered nearest heaven
c) Driving away devils
ُرﯾ َِﺻﻣْﻟا َْسﺋِﺑ َو ۖ َمﱠﻧَﮭَﺟ ُابَذَﻋ ْمِﮭﱢﺑَِرﺑ ُوارَﻔَﻛ َِﯾنذﱠﻠِﻟ َو
ُرُوﻔَﺗ َِﻲھ َو ًﺎﻘِﯾﮭَﺷ َﺎﮭَﻟ ُواﻌِﻣَﺳ َﺎﮭِﯾﻓ ُواﻘْﻟُأ اَِذإ
ٌرِﯾذَﻧ ْمُﻛِﺗْﺄَﯾ ْمَﻟَأ َﺎﮭُﺗَﻧَزَﺧ ْمُﮭَﻟَﺄَﺳ ٌج َْوﻓ َﺎﮭِﯾﻓ َِﻲﻘْﻟُأ َﺎﻣﱠﻠُﻛ ۖ ِْظﯾَْﻐﻟا َِنﻣ ُزﱠﯾَﻣَﺗ ُدَﺎﻛَﺗ
6. And for those who disbelieve in their Lord is the torment of Hell and worst indeed is that abode.
7. When they are cast therein, they hear a horrible sound out of it while they are perpetually boiled in it.
8. It almost bursts up with fury. Every time a group is cast therein, the keepers of the Hell will ask them: "Did no
warner come unto you?"
Verse 6 - 8
ٍِﯾرﺑَﻛ ٍل َﻼَﺿ ِﻲﻓ ﱠِﻻإ ْمُﺗَﻧأ ِْنإ ٍء َْﻲﺷ ِنﻣ ُ ﱠﷲ َلَزﱠﻧ َﺎﻣ َﺎﻧْﻠُﻗ َو َﺎﻧْﺑﱠذَﻛَﻓ ٌرِﯾذَﻧ َﺎﻧَءﺎَﺟ َْدﻗ َٰﻰﻠَﺑ ُواﻟَﺎﻗ
ِِﯾرﻌﱠﺳاﻟ ِبﺎَﺣَْﺻأ ِﻲﻓ ﱠﺎﻧُﻛ َﺎﻣ ُلِﻘَْﻌﻧ َْوأ ُﻊَﻣَْﺳﻧ ﱠﺎﻧُﻛ َْوﻟ ُواﻟَﺎﻗ َو
9. They will say: "Yes, indeed a warner came unto us, but we belied him and said: 'Allah never sent down
anything, you are only in great error."
10. And they will say: "Had we but listened or used our intellect, we would not have been amongst the dwellers of
the blazing Fire!"
Verse 9 & 10
ِِﯾرﻌﱠﺳاﻟ ِبﺎَﺣَْﺻ ﱢﻷ ًﺎﻘُْﺣﺳَﻓ ْمِﮭِﺑﻧَِذﺑ ُواﻓََرﺗَْﺎﻋﻓ
ٌرِﯾﺑَﻛ ٌرَْﺟأ َو ٌةَِرﻔْﱠﻐﻣ ُمﮭَﻟ ِبْﯾَْﻐﻟِﺎﺑ ُمﮭﱠﺑَر َن َْوﺷَْﺧﯾ َِﯾنذﱠﻟا ِنﱠإ
11. They will then confess their sins: but far will be (Forgiveness) from the Companions of the Blazing Fire!
12.Indeed, those who fear their Lord unseen, will have forgiveness and great Reward.
Verse 11 & 12
a) They confess that Prophets came unto them, though they belied them
b) They confess that they failed to use their intellect and listen to the word of the truth
c) They confess to having committed sins
12. Fearing in committing unseen sins (pure intention)
- ِبْﯾَْﻐﻟِﺎﺑ bi’alghayb (unseen, invisible)
Verse 13 & 14
ِرُوﺪاﻟﺼﱡ ِتَاﺬِﺑ ٌﻢِﯿﻠَﻋ ُﮫﱠﻧِإ ۖ ِﮫِﺑ ُواﺮَﮭْاﺟ ِوَأ ْﻢُﻜَﻟَْﻮﻗ واﺮﱡَِﺳأَو
ُﺮِﯿﺒَْﺨﻟا ُﯿﻒِﱠﻄﻠاﻟ َﻮُھَو َﻖَﻠَﺧ َْﻦﻣ ُﻢَﻠْﻌَﯾ ََﻻأ
13. And keep your opinion secret or proclaim it, lo! He is the Knower of all that is in the breasts (of men).
14. Does He created not know, while He is the Subtle, the Acquainted (All-aware)?
13. “All knowing of what is in the breast”
14. Divine attribute implies all aware of all secrets of the creations
ُرُﻮﺸﱡﻨاﻟ ِﮫْﯿَﻟِإَو ۖ ِﮫِﻗْزرﱢ ِﻦﻣ ُﻮاﻠُﻛَو َﺎﮭِﺒِﻛَﺎﻨَﻣ ِﻲﻓ ُﻮاﺸْﻣَﺎﻓ ًُﻮﻻﻟَذ َضَْر ْاﻷ ُﻢُﻜَﻟ َﻞَﻌَﺟ ِيﺬﱠﻟا َﻮُھ
15. He it is Who hath made the earth subservient unto you. So walk on the path thereof and eat of His
providence. And unto Him will be the Resurrection (of the dead).
- ًُﻮﻻﻟَذ َضَْر ْاﻷ al-ard dhaluullan (the Earth subservient / tame)
- ِﮫِﻗْزرﱢ rizq (provision / sustenance)
15. The Earth is subservient to man in all respects
- Earth’s distance from the sun is just nice, not to scorch everything
- Earth’s atmospheric pressure
- Laws of Gravity
Verse 16 & 17
ُرُﻮﻤَﺗ َﻲِھ َاذِﺈَﻓ َضَْر ْاﻷ ُﻢُﻜِﺑ َﻒِﺴَْﺨﯾ َنأ ِءَﺎﻤﱠﺴاﻟ ِﻲﻓ ﱠﻦﻣ ُﻢﺘِﻨﻣَأَأ
ِﺮِﯾﺬَﻧ َْﻒﯿَﻛ َُﻮنﻤَﻠْﻌَﺘَﺴَﻓ ۖ ًﺎﺒِﺎﺻَﺣ ْﻢُﻜْﯿَﻠَﻋ َﻞِﺳُْﺮﯾ َنأ ِءَﺎﻤﱠﺴاﻟ ِﻲﻓ ﱠﻦﻣ ُﻢﺘِﻨﻣَأ ْمَأ
16. Do you feel secure that He who [holds authority] in the heaven will not cause the earth to swallow you and
suddenly it would sway?
17. Or do you feel secure that He who [holds authority] in the heaven would not send against you storm of
stones? Then you shall know how [severe] has My Warning.
16. Disaster that befell the ancient people can hit you too
17. Even in the grave, you may not escape the torment
ِﺮِﯿﻜَﻧ ََﺎنﻛ َْﻒﯿَﻜَﻓ ْﻢِﮭِﻠْﺒَﻗ ِﻦﻣ َِﯾﻦﺬﱠﻟا َﱠبﺬَﻛ ْﺪَﻘَﻟَو
18. But indeed men before them rejected (My warning): then how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)?
18. A lot of revelations and miracles can be experienced by ancient people, but
they were haughty thus they were chastised by destructive quakes, lightning,
gales, so that the next generations may take lessons and obey Divine commands
ٌﺮﯿَِﺼﺑ ٍءَْﻲﺷ ﱢﻞُﻜِﺑ ُﮫﱠﻧِإ ۚ َُﻦٰﻤْﱠﺣﺮاﻟ ﱠِﻻإ ُﻦﱠﮭُﻜِْﺴﻤُﯾ َﺎﻣ ۚ َﻦِْﻀﺒْﻘَﯾَو ٍتﱠﺎﻓَﺎﺻ ْﻢُﮭَﻗَْﻮﻓ ِﺮْﯿﱠﻄاﻟ َﻰﻟِإ اَْوﺮَﯾ ْﻢَﻟَوَأ
19. Do they not see the birds above them, spreading out their wings and folding them in? None holds them in
[aloft] except the Most Merciful. Indeed He is, of all things, Seeing.
19. Soar in the sky, resisting the law of gravity, flying for hours, at times for weeks
and months for migration
- All-seer / All-aware of His creatures’ needs and provide them accordingly
- Wonders of the world of birds and their flight
- “Do they not look at the birds, constrained in the middle of the sky? Naught
holds them but Allah; verily there are signs in that for a people who believe.”
ٍرُوﺮُﻏ ِﻲﻓ ﱠِﻻإ َُونﺮِﻓَﺎﻜْﻟا ِِنإ ۚ َِﻦٰﻤْﱠﺣﺮاﻟ ُِوند ﱢﻦﻣ ُﻢﻛُﺮُﺼَﻨﯾ ْﻢُﻜﱠﻟ ٌﺪﻨُﺟ َﻮُھ ِيﺬﱠﻟا َاﺬَٰھ ْﱠﻦﻣَأ
20. Or who is he that will be an army unto you to help you instead of the Beneficient? The disbelievers are in
naught but illusion.
20. Only turn to the Beneficient for help. Disbelievers turning to idols and false
god. The veils of vanity and ignorance have been cast on their intellect impeding
them from taking lessons from historical instances.
ٍرُﻮﻔُﻧَو ُﻮﱟﺘُﻋ ِﻲﻓ ﻮاﱠﺠﱡﻟ َﻞﺑ ۚ ُﮫَﻗِْزر َﻚَﺴْﻣَأ ِْنإ ْﻢُﻜُﻗُزَْﺮﯾ ِيﺬﱠﻟا َاﺬَٰھ ْﱠﻦﻣَأ
21. Or who is it that could provide for you if He withheld His provision? But they have persisted in insolence
- ُﮫَﻗِْزر rizqah (provision / sustenance)
21. He is able to provide and also withhold His provision. Despite that many have
transgressed, disobey, evades the truth.
ٍِﯿﻢﻘَﺘْﺴﱡﻣ ٍَاطﺮِﺻ َٰﻰﻠَﻋ ًﺎّﯾِﻮَﺳ ﻲِْﺸﻤَﯾ ﱠﻦﻣَأ َٰىﺪْھَأ ِﮫِﮭَْﺟو َٰﻰﻠَﻋ ًﺎّﺒِﻜُﻣ ﻲِْﺸﻤَﯾ َﻦﻤَﻓَأ
22. Then is one who walks fallen on his face, better guided or one who walks erect on the Straight Path?
- ٍِﯿﻢﻘَﺘْﺴﱡﻣ ٍَاطﺮِﺻ siratin mustaqeem (The Straight path)
22. Comparison between two groups (precise and interesting similitude)
- One who walks fallen on his face = disbelievers / tyrants (crawls uneven and
meandering road, unable to control themselves)
- One who walks erect on the straight path = believers (walk upright)
َُونﺮُﻜْﺸَﺗ ﱠﺎﻣ ًِﯿﻼﻠَﻗ ۖ َةَﺪِﺌْﻓَ َْاﻷو َرَﺎﺼْﺑَ َْاﻷو َﻊْﻤﱠﺴاﻟ ُﻢُﻜَﻟ َﻞَﻌََﺟو ْﻢُﻛَﺄَﺸَﻧأ ِيﺬﱠﻟا َﻮُھ ْﻞُﻗ
23. Say “It is He Who has created you (and made you grow), and made for you the faculties of hearing,
seeing, feeling and understanding; little thanks it is ye give.
- َﻊْﻤﱠﺴاﻟ alssame (Hearing)
- َرَﺎﺼْﺑَ َْاﻷو wal-absar (And sight)
- َةَﺪِﺌْﻓَ َْاﻷو wal-afyida (And hearts)
23. Ungrateful of all the blessings and taking it all for granted
َُونﺮَﺸُْﺤﺗ ِﮫْﯿَﻟِإَو ِضَْر ْاﻷ ِﻲﻓ ْﻢُﻛَأَرَذ ِيﺬﱠﻟا َﻮُھ ْﻞُﻗ
24. Say “It is He who has multiplied you throughout the Earth, and to Him you will be gathered.”
24. He multiplied us and we collectively will return to Him.
- ie. َِﻌونﺟاَر ِﮫْﯾَﻟِإ ﱠـﺎﻧِإ َو ِ ﱠﺎﻧِإ
We surely belong to Allah and to Him we shall return (Al Baqarah 2:156)
Verse 25 - 27
َِﯾنﻗِدﺎَﺻ ْمُﺗُﻧﻛ ِنإ ُدْﻋ َْوﻟا اََذٰھ َٰﻰﺗَﻣ َُونﻟُوﻘَﯾ َو
ٌِﯾنﺑﱡﻣ ٌرِﯾذَﻧ َﺎﻧَأ َﺎﻣﱠﻧِإ َو ِ ﱠﷲ َﻧدِﻋ ُمْﻠِﻌْﻟا َﺎﻣﱠﻧِإ ْلُﻗ
َُونﻋﱠدَﺗ ِﮫِﺑ ُمﺗُﻧﻛ ِيذﱠﻟا اََذٰھ َلِﯾﻗ َو ُوارَﻔَﻛ َِﯾنذﱠﻟا ُهُوﺟ ُو َْتﺋﯾِﺳ ًﺔَﻔْﻟُز ُه َْوأَر ﱠﺎﻣَﻠَﻓ
25. They say: "When will this promise come to pass if you are telling the truth?"
26. Say: "The knowledge is with Allah only and I am merely a plain warner.
27. But when they see it approaching, the faces of those who disbelieve will turn ugly and black and it will be said
unto them: "This is what you were calling for!"
Verse 28 & 29
ٍمِﯾﻟَأ ٍباَذَﻋ ِْنﻣ َﯾن ِِرﻓَﺎﻛْﻟا ُرِﯾﺟُﯾ َنﻣَﻓ َﺎﻧَﻣِﺣَر َْوأ َِﻲﻌﱠﻣ َنﻣ َو ُ ﱠﷲ َِﻲﻧَﻛَﻠَْھأ ِْنإ ْمُﺗْﯾَأََرأ ْلُﻗ
ٍنِﯾﺑﱡﻣ ٍل َﻼَﺿ ِﻲﻓ َُوھ َْنﻣ َُونﻣَﻠَْﻌﺗََﺳﻓ ۖ َﺎﻧْﻠﱠﻛ ََوﺗ ِﮫْﯾَﻠَﻋ َو ِﮫِﺑ ﱠﺎﻧَﻣآ َُنٰﻣْﺣاﻟرﱠ َُوھ ْلُﻗ
28. Say: "If Allah destroys me and those with me or He bestows His Mercy on us, who can save the disbelievers
from an excruciating torment?"
29. Say: "He is the Most Gracious, in Him we believe and in Him we put our trust. So you will come to know who it
is that is in manifest error."
ٍِﯿﻦﻌﱠﻣ ٍءَﺎﻤِﺑ ُﻢﻜِﯿﺗْﺄَﯾ َﻦﻤَﻓ ًارَْﻮﻏ ْﻢُﻛُؤَﺎﻣ ََﺢﺒَْﺻأ ِْنإ ْﻢُﺘْﯾَأَرَأ ْﻞُﻗ
30. Have ye thought: If (all) your water were to disappear into the Earth, who then could bring you gushing
30. Flowing water is mentioned herein as an instance of Divine Graciousness.
- Earth consist of two different layers: penetrable and impenetrable. The
former absorbs and the latter preserves it.
- Water could have sunken into the Earth
● Opens with Divine Sovereignty and Ownership, closes with Graciousness.
Verse 1 - 5 = Universe, fortified kingdom, existence, purpose, power
Verse 6 - 11= Dreadful consequences of disbelieve, punishment, rejected
Verse 12 - 14 = All-aware of all open and hidden secrets, fearing the accountability of unseen God
Verse 15 - 23 = Requires observation from daily occurence (look at the earth / bird / resources)
Verse 24 - 27 = Warning and wraths to disbelievers, history and ancient people
Verse 28 - 30 = His mercy and graciousness. Ends with a question to ponder upon
● Topics regarding the Origin of existence, Divine Attributes, the marvelous system of the Creation of the
world of existence and man, and man’s means of gaining knowledge;
● Topics concerning the Hereafter, torments of the Hell, and the conversations of the people of the Hell on
the Day of Resurrection;
● Warning the disbelievers and wrong doers against being afflicted with torments in this world and the
● Surah for the most arrogant of sinners
● Surah for protection of the torment from the grave
● Prophet (pbuh) sayings:
"One who recites Surah al-Tabarak is like one who wakes up praying in the Night of Ordainment.”
"I wish Surah al-Tabarak were recorded in the believers’ heart.”
● https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpopjcSCJs - Divine Connection - Surah Al-Mulk (Dominion) -
Day 1 - Tawfique Chowdhury
● https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5oQnNP0DR8 - Get to Know: Ep. 18 - Surah Al-Mulk -
Nouman Ali Khan - Quran Weekly
Created by Adilah Binte Abdul Hamid & Abidah Binte Abdul Hamid