• Media convergence, in reality, is more than just a shift in
technology. It alters relationships between industries, technologies,
audiences, genres and markets. Media convergence changes the
rationality media industries operate in, and the way that media
consumers process news and entertainment. Media convergence is
essentially a process and not an outcome, so no single black box
controls the flow of media. With proliferation of different media
channels and increasing portability of new telecommunications and
computing technologies, we have entered into an era where media
constantly surrounds us.
• Media convergence requires that media companies rethink existing
assumptions about media from the consumer's point of view, as
these affect marketing and programming decisions. Media
producers must respond to newly empowered consumers.
Cross Media Convergence
• Hardware and software coming together across media, and
companies coming together across similar boundaries. This makes
the distinction between different types of media and different
industries increasingly dubious.
• Media institutions are now delivering their products on more than
one media channel. For example in my selected movie, World War Z,
not only was it launched on the big screen (theater), but also in the
home theatre. Online purchases were made available, the movie
was watchable through DVD, Blu-Rays etc.
•“The trend for different technologies for the
deliverance of content to start to resemble one
For example, television sets will increasingly
resemble computer and computers will increasingly
resemble televisions. Both will be used to download
movies, pictures etc. Hence, distinction between
separate technologies are likely to be erased.
A major institute like Skydance productions will have a lot of money so
they can use the new technologies to their advantage, there for:
• They advertised more e.g. Billboards, background scene of webs etc.
• They promoted their films by making games based on their movie.
• It was sold in a number of different levels such as DVD, Blue Ray, 3D etc.
• By selling their films on Blue Ray, it shows that the film can be bought in
high quality so people would buy them more.
Their aim to gain more profit using Technology Convergence to their
However, new the technology convergence could be beneficial for
institutions but there are some drawbacks:
• It is found to be more expensive.
• There is a chance of losing profit if movie is a flop.
• No guarantees to if the customer will buy more just for better
• There are cheaper alternatives for people to make their own media
•Media Synergy is the way in which different
elements of a media conglomerate work
together to promote linked products across
For example in my selected film, World War Z,
there was a media synergy of film/ soundtrack/
phone/ game this means the film promoted
the sound track, promoted the phone
promoted the game.