BY: Alireza And Kamyab
• A type of drum, they consist of a skin called a head stretched
over a large bowl traditionally made of copper.
• They are played by striking the head with a specialized
drum stick called atimpani stick or timpani mallet.
What is the skin made of and called?
Copper and its called the head
What is the specialized drum stick called?
atimpani or timpani stick
• Cymbals are mostly used in the orchestra, jazz bands, heavy metal bands.
• Cymbals are measured by their diameter
often in inches or centimeters.
The size of the cymbal affects its sound,
larger cymbals usually being louder and having
What are cymbals measured by?
What effects the cymbals sound by making it louder?
The size of the cymbals
A typical diameter for snare drums is 36cm.
Most of snare drums are made of wood and metal
There are many types of snare drums, including:
• Marching snare
• Drum kit snare
• Piccolo snare
• Maracatu snare
SNARE DRUMS QUIZ
Name three type of snare drums?
Marching snare, Drum kit snare, Piccolo snare, Maracatu snare, Tarol
What is he typical diameter of a snare drum?
• The frame is often made of wood or plastic
• The metal jingles are called zils
What is the frame mostly made of?
What are the jingles called?
The drums are of different size: the larger drum is called in Spanish the hembra
and the smaller the macho.
The bongo originated from the eastern region of
Cuba known as the Oriente, during the
What is the big drum called?
What is the smaller drum called?
Bongos were originated in ………….
• The xylophone (from the Greek words ξύλον—xylon, "wood" + φωνή—phonē,
"sound, voice", meaning "wooden sound")
Where is xylophone from?
What does xylon mean?
What does phone(in greek) mean?
A bass drum is typically cylindrical with the diameter much greater than the
Bass drums are too large to be hand held and are always mounted in some
way. The usual ways of mounting a bass drum are:
Using a shoulder.
On a floor stand as part of a drum kit.
BASS DRUM QUIZ
Which one is greater the height or the diameter?
Two ways of holding the bass drum……..
On the floor as a drum kit
Using a shoulder
It originated in China and later spread to Southeast Asia,
and it may also be used in the percussion section of
Western symphony orchestra.
Where was the gong originated?
There are five basic strokes:
• Open tone :played with the four fingers near the rim of the head, producing a clear
resonant tone with a distinct pitch.
• Muffled or mute tone :like the open tone, is made by striking the drum with the four
fingers, but holding the fingers against the head to muffle the tone.
• Bass tone: played with the full palm on the head. It produces a low muted sound.
• Slap tone : the most difficult technique producing a loud clear "popping" sound
(when played at fast and short intervals is called floreo, played to instill emotion in
• Touch tone: as implied by the name, this tone is produced by just touching the
fingers or heel of the palm to the drum head. It is possible to alternate a touch of the
palm with a touch of the fingers in a maneuver called heel-toe (manoteo), which
can be used to produce the conga equivalent of drumrolls.
CONGA DRUM QUIZ
Name five different strokes
Muffled or mute tone
NOW CAN YOU NAME 9 DIFFERENT
PERCUSSION INSTRUMUENTS USED IN
• Bass drums
• Conga drum
• Snare drums