Class 6, Unit no 1
Miss Seema Rafiq
What Instructions Are?
Instructions are a list of directions that tells us
how to do, complete or avoid any task or
In simple words INSTRUCTIONS tells us how to
do what and what not. OR
We can say that Instructions guides us and tell
us to do things correctly.
Features of Instructions
Instructions have these features:
List of requirements
Clear sequence of steps for readers to follow
Simple and direct language
Use of the second person “you”
Use of the Imperatives
Verbs to identify actions that have to be
Instructions for Recipes
• Instructions plays an important role in
• This covers all the important features of
• Clear sequence of steps
• Use of imperatives
• Expected outcome
Examples of different types of
Instructions are involved in almost every aspect
of our lives for example:
Importance of instructions
• Instructions are very helpful to us.
• If we do not follow instructions, we will not
know how to do things, or we will end up
with things that do not work.
• Similarly, if we do not give proper
instructions to people, they will not know
how to do certain tasks.
• Show the class how to use the computer.
• Show the class how to use the multimedia.
• Suppose you are a sports coach….prepare
your team for an inter school tournament.
• See the flash card and write the recipe
following the features of instructions.