SPI 0807.9.1 Recognize that all matter consists of
SPI 0807.12.4 Distinguish between mass and weight
using appropriate measuring instruments and units.
SPI 0807.9.11 Recognize that in a chemical reaction
the mass of the reactants is equal to the mass of the
products (Law of Conservation of Mass). You must
understand mass to eventually understand this
Chapter 7 Section 1 Part 3
What Our Goals Were
• I can compare mass and weight.
• I can explain the relationship between mass
• Tendency of an object to resist change in
Mass: The Measure of Inertia
• The larger the mass -> the harder it is to get
• Just because something has a large mass does not
mean it will have a large weight. Think about a
large object floating through space.
1. Read the
SUMMARY in the
part of p. 187.
2. Complete Exit