Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

How Google Works - Basic of SEO


Published on

Learn how google works and the basic of search engine you need to know before you start your SEO Campaign.

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

How Google Works - Basic of SEO

  1. 1. What is GOOGLE ? A widely used search engine that uses text-matching techniques to find web pages that are important and relevant to a user's search. Google Inc. is an American public corporation, earning revenue from advertising related to its Internet search, e-mail, online mapping, office productivity, social networking, and video sharing services as well as selling advertising-free versions of the same technologies. Google has also developed an open source web browser and a mobile operating system . The Google headquarters, the Googleplex, is located in Mountain View, California.As of March 31, 2009 (2009 -03-31)[update], the company has 19,786 full-time employees. Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while they were students at Stanford University
  2. 2. How does Google Work? Google works on web spider now called as Googlebot. The spider consist of crawler and indexer. Crawler crawls the webpages on the internet and also saves the links mentioned on the webpage and crawl them too. As crawler crawls a particluar page it gets indexed or cached in the google database by indexer.
  3. 4. The Search Engine Evolution with Time
  4. 5. What is Organic traffic and non-organic traffic? Organic Traffic are those which comes from google searches. That means, if I am looking for “golf club in NY” and I search the same in Google the page which I will visit will get a organic traffic. Non Organic Traffic are those which does not come from Google or from any other searh engine. They come from referrals, that means, they come from various other sites like links on other websites, social networking, social bookmarking, mouth to mouth promotion, PPC campiagn etc. What is more important from both of the above?
  5. 6. From a recent market research it has been proved that most of the popular websites and successful website owners get around 80% of traffic from Organic search result. But, the other 20% of non organic traffic is needed to build a good pagerank in google. As if for now consider pagerank as prestige of the website. Also it should be noted that for particular keyword(the term used for searches) google never charges for organic search results. However, you can pay to get the sponsored listing for that keywords.
  6. 7. How to get Organic traffic? Every search engine has its own algorithm to show results as per keywords. Google for particular is the best search engine in the world. So lets take what google needs or love for its organic search results. It has various criteria based on which it throws webpages in an descending manner.(For a particular keyword, being at the top of seach result will give you tremendous of traffic) Now, Googles technique is been kept secret for its own purpose of security and business secret. But over the time as webmasters analyse the result pages and by different permutation and combination there are various factors which can help you to get better place in google search result. This is where SEO comes to picture.
  7. 8. Some Google Parameters Some of the parameters which we think google use to decide the position in search engine result of a particular keyword are as follow: Lets take an example of “best free antivirus” 1. Pagerank (weightage can be 40%) 2. Meta Tags(5%) 3. Keyword density(10%) 4. Title Tag(10%) 5. Heading tags and other punctuation on page(5%) 6. Quality Content and new content(10%) 7. Domain Age(5%) 8. Quality Backlinks (15%) This is some of the parameters which google looks from a webpage to fit into there are more like webpage should meet googles guideline and should have sitemap with no dead links and many many many other parameters.
  8. 9. How to get non-organic traffic? The various methods for bringing non-organic traffics are as follows: 1. Social Bookmarking websites (eg.,, 2. Social Networking websites (eg.,, 3. Blog submission websites (,, 4. Article Marketing (, etc) 5. Comment writing ( commenting on others blogs and being an active members also using pingback and trackbacks for the same instead of commenting)