Mini had one of the funnest displays at the IAA. They had a two-level display of cars with a slide on the second level that people can ride down. On the ground level they had a game set up WII style, where you could paint a Mini anyway you wanted. On the second level there was a driving simulator, as well as a trampoline that was floating over the ground floor.
The Apline Trail Centenary Collection is celebration of the 4 Rolls-Royce Ghosts that did the trials 100 years ago. You can read more about this special edition Rolls Royce at: http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/stories/alpine-trial-centenary-collection/
There are two pictures of a Smart fourjoy concept that was heavily featured in their diplay area. Smart had several electric vehicles and a few vehicles that were highly customized by Brabus.
Mercedes always has a strong presense with a huge hall that they share with Smart (a division of Daimler).
Under the curtain is the new BMW i8 "The Sport Wagon of the Future“ (as BMW calles it). The green motorcycle is the BMW C Evolution. In the upper right hand corner is one of the "BMW i“ cars (Born Electric as their slogan says). The orange BMW motorcycle was being displayed by a car rental company (nice to know you can rent them). The white BMW is a drivers education car, which I‘m sure it is a lot more fun than the plain vanilla car that we had when I did my drivers education!
Shown above are the "e up!“, "cross up!“, and the Amorak Dark Label. The windmills 'e-up!' provided a background for some of the "up!“ vehicles on display by Volkswagen. They also had an nice city displayed to make the point about cleaner vehicles.
The orange Smart is one of the many Brabus 'tailor made‘ cars. The truck is a BRABUS B63S - 700 6x6 . The gull-winged beauty is a BRABUS 700 Biturbo based on the Mercedes SLS AMG.
Most of the Jeeps seemed fun in a Jeep kind of way, but sadly they weren‘t displayed as creatively as in years gone by. I remember one year in the past where they had build a waterfall into the background and who the outdoorsy, off-road tradition of Jeep is usually prominately featured in their displays, this year seemed a little flat.
Toyota had a huge graphic displayed saying that the they had sold over 5 million hybrids. This reminds me of the movie "Field of Dreams“, where the Kevin Costner character was told to build it and they would come (refering to a baseball field in the middle of a cornfield). 5 million vehicles sold says that people do want hybrids and that they want good choices.
Hybrids, electric, and alternative powered vehicles are making more and more progress. The Renault Twizy (upper left hand corner) was a concept in the 2011 show and has since gone into production (I‘ve even see one parked at a local shopping center). Toyota annonced that it has sold over 5 million hybrid vehicles. BMW, Porshe, and Mercedes (some models from each company are pictured above) all have new concepts and/or are actually selling these types of vehicles. Toyota has even gone into hybrid racing.
IAA Website http://www.iaa.de/en/visitors/ „ 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show“ – My post about this year‘s IAA http://systems-overload.blogspot.com/2013/09/2013-frankfurt-auto-show.html „ 2013 IAA- Frankfurt Auto Show Part 1“- picture collection on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcheronfamily/sets/72157635503015144/ D ue to the large number of pictures that I‘ve taken, there will likely be other sets posted to Flickr 2013 IAA- Frankfurt Auto Show o n Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/darrylheron/2013-iaa-frankfurt-auto-show/
„ 2011 Frankfurt Autoshow“ – My post about this year‘s IAA http://systems-overload.blogspot.com/2011/09/2011-frankfurt-autoshow.html „ 2011 IAA Frankfurt“- picture collection on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcheronfamily/sets/72157627666165522/ „ 2011 IAA Frankfurt part 2“- picture collection on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcheronfamily/sets/72157627563534955/ „ 2011 IAA Frankfurt part 3“- picture collection on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcheronfamily/sets/72157627688487592/ „ 2009 Frankfurt Autoshow“- My post about the last IAA http://systems-overload.blogspot.com/2009/09/2009-frankfurt-autoshow.html
2013 Frankfurt Auto Show
• The 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show (IAA) runs
from September 14-22, 2013
• This is one of the biggest autoshows in
• Most every automotive brand for sale in
Europe has some kind of presence here
• Several automotive suppliers and
aftermarket companies are also present
• It is held bi-annually in Frankfurt, Germany
• Here are some of the highlights of this
• New Mini slogan "Not Normal“
• An fun and interactive setup
100 Years of Alpine Racing
• Rolls Royce is celebrating 100 years of the Alpine Trail with the
Alpine Trial Centenary Collection.
• Rolls Royce has one of the most famous embelmsin the world.
For the Wraith it is made of Swarovski crystal.
• The Adam is new small car that Opel
has developed and started selling
since the 2011 show. It is available in a
lot of colors and with a lot of
• Opel had had one concept vehicle on
display (shown lower left corner)
• Opel also introduced the redesigned
Insignia (not pictured)
• Brabus creates a cornucopia of
‘tailor made’ Smarts
• This Brabus 6X6 can do some
• Why just have an SLS when you
can have a Brabus 700 Biturbo?
• The blue Jeeps are the
• The red Jeep is a Wrangler
• Toyota has sold over 5 million
• Toyota has taken the hybrid to
Renault Concept Vehicles
• Renault had a ton of concept vehicles!
• Here are just a few.
Ford- Leading in Social Media
• AT the 2011 IAA, I was very
impressed with what Ford did with the
• Ford has a social media team in place
for the 2013 IAA. The Social Media
Evangelist in me is curious to find out
what their experience is at the show.
• It is exciting to see the growth of hybrids, electric, and
alternative powered vehicles over the last few IAA shows in
• It still takes too long to charge up elecrtic vehicles, with other
challenges as well, but progress is being made as is noticible by
all the different vehicles that are available as production models
and concepts on the drawing board.
• Here is a popouri of vehicles that I didn‘t hit yet
• This tank from Mansonary is "born for revolution“
• A new Bugatti in black
• The new Porsche 918 Spyder
• The new Porsche 911
• The Fiat 500 now has a family version
• I always enjoy going to Auto Shows and I had a great
time at the show this year.
• I took a lot of pictures which are (or will be) posted in
Flickr, so I hope you‘ll check them out.
• If you get the chance to go, there‘s lots to see and I‘m
sure you‘ll have fun!
2013 IAA Resources
• IAA Website
• „2013 Frankfurt Auto Show“ – My post about this year‘s
• „2013 IAA- Frankfurt Auto Show Part 1“- picture
collection on Flickr
• Due to the large number of pictures that I‘ve taken, there
will likely be other sets posted to Flickr
• 2013 IAA- Frankfurt Auto Show on Pinterest
2011 IAA Resources
• „2011 Frankfurt Autoshow“ – My post about this year‘s
• „2011 IAA Frankfurt“- picture collection on Flickr
• „2011 IAA Frankfurt part 2“- picture collection on Flickr
• „2011 IAA Frankfurt part 3“- picture collection on Flickr
• „2009 Frankfurt Autoshow“- My post about the last IAA
Darryl Heron‘s presentations on
Be Sure to Check Out…