Data driven video advertising campaigns - JustWatch & Snowplow
Next Generation Movie Marketing
for Cinema, Home Entertainment and VOD
• Who we are and what we do
• Act I: Our journey to Snowplow
• Excursus: The first campaign
• Arriving at the design of Universal CRM
• Act II-IV: The building blocks of Universal CRM
We love movies and connect fans with their favorite content worldwide.
The highly experienced JustWatch founders helped to digitize the
weekly ads sector in 6 countries, built the biggest movie platform in
Germany and developed world-leading advertising technology.
Led 120+ people, managed $50m+ marketing budgets and grew an
international reach of more than 750m visits annually.
Tech focused team of 30 based in Berlin and LA.
David Croyé CEO, Ingke Weimert CRO, Michael Wilken COO,
Christoph Hoyer CMO, Dominik Raute CTO, Kevin Hiller Head of ProductTeam
JustWatch is a new kind of international adtech and data company
solely focused on the movie industry.
JustWatch is providing data driven video advertising campaigns focused
on the revenue relevant power users mostly on YouTube and Facebook.
JustWatch has exclusive first party data about movie taste and purchase
behavior and minimizes waste coverage worldwide on scale.
Why are we able to reach this efficiency?
JustWatch has exclusive first party data and technology
International Movie and TV-Show Apps
Next Generation Movie Marketing
DVD / BR
Rent / Buy
HD / SD
JustWatch collects anonymized data about purchase behavior and
movie taste of movie and TV show fans worldwide
Mar '15 Apr '15 May '15 Jun '15 Jul '15 Aug '15 Sep '15 Oct '15 Nov '15 Dec '15 Jan '16 Feb '16 Mar '16 Apr '16 May '16 Jun '16 Jul'16 Aug'16 Sep'16 Oct'16
JustWatch is growing rapidly in currently 23 countries,
adding more than 2 million new user profiles per month
>2 MM New
Users per Month
>1 MM App
iOS & Android
JustWatch Usage: Web, iOS, Android
Not so fast.
Building a data pipeline seems
easy enough at first…
…but everyone ends up reinventing the wheel:
• set up tracking & queueing systems
• geoip, data anonymization, handwritten ETL
• versioning, iteration of schema, monitoring
• validation, dealing with invalid lines
And eventually you realize:
Snowplow doesn’t look like
every data pipeline.
But every good data
pipeline looks a lot like
To us, Snowplow was the perfect first shot:
• Bundled collection of Best Practices™
• Scaleable tech at any step in the pipeline
• Standardized protocols, no deep lock-in
• Great balance between extensible and premade
Setup and pitfalls
• Went with vanilla non-realtime setup on EC2
• Didn’t even find CloudFormation template 😊
(still, was just a few days of setup)
• Universal CRM: All our visitors are users
• Slight starting problems on mobile
• We gave ourselves 4 weeks to find out if
Snowplow was a good fit for us.
• We were completely finished in three – from
(web-)app integration to first SQL export.
• All the good stuff came out of the box.
Our First Campaign
• Manual setup for a simple version
took 8 hours
• Just querying users took half
• rest is pure campaign setup &
• Manual setup for a simple
version took 8 hours
• over 300 sub-tasks required
• 27 main steps until the
campaign went live
JustWatch campaigns have more than twice the view time
and are optimized based on actual cinema intent
Example: 150.000€ campaign budget on YouTube:
Hours of trailer time watched
JustWatch vs. Industry Benchmark:
Google/YouTube: Q2 2016, TrueViews for
movie marketing campaigns of the whole
industry in DE. Avg. 96 seconds trailer.
Demographie Teen-Horror Psycho-Thriller Supernatural
Campaign optimization based on Cinema-Intent
It was getting clear we
had to automate a lot.
But first –
A Paradigm change:
Filling the wishlist…
“Display movie trailers to Facebook and
Youtube users who added a horror
movie to their WatchList before”
“Send a push notification with personal
recommendations to mobile users that
were active for at least 5 sessions but
had no activity in the last 7 days”
“Ask our Top 5% most active power
users a survey on what feature they
want to see next”
“Ask people who skipped three comedy
trailers on Youtube if they want to
continue seeing trailers for the genre”