What kind of media institution
might distribute your product and
• Distribution is the process in which a film distributor which is either a
company or individual takes control of the marketing and releasing of a
final media product.
• Large companies are more likely to distribute a film produced by ‘The
Big Six’ in comparison to a independent film company.
Examples of thriller film distributors;
Se7en – New Line Cinema
Shutter Island – Paramount Pictures
The Prestige – Warner Bro’s/ Touchstone Pictures
Orphan – 20th Century Fox/Warner Bro’s
Taken – 20th Century Fox
Sinister – Momentum Pictures
Walled In – Blue Sky Media
• Due to the genre of our product being a thriller I have researched
into a selection of different production companies which distribute
thriller films themselves and which I feel our media product would
benefit best from using to distribute our film.
• When researching I came across a selection of larger and smaller
production companies such as Paramount Pictures, 20th Century
Fox, Momentum Pictures and various others which produced the
genre, thriller productions.
• I came across a much smaller production company called ‘Blue Sky
Media’ which distribute a variety of different genre but do base
mainly around thriller. They have distributed thrillers such as
Walled In, In The Blood, Don’t Let Him In and After.Life as well as
many other more famous films such as Burn After Reading,
Penelope and Ball of Fury. These are a wide selection of reasonably
well known movies and I feel using a company like this who promote
on a smaller scale will be more beneficial and realistic when
producing our film in comparison to vastly larger company who are
more than unlikely to give the funding and distribute our small
• Due to our final media product Don’t Look Back being based and filmed
in the UK I think it would appeal mostly to a UK audience and would be
most successful here due to a better understanding and relation to the
story as our company is based near by in comparison to more global
company. Although certain aspects could appeal to a wider global
audience we also have to factor the cost of getting our product changed
and translated to fit with certain countries therefore using a smaller,
local company such as Blue Sky Media we would not need to include this
factor in our funding and production.
• There are many ways in which we could personally distribute our movie
ourselves or help to distribute.
• This could be done in ways such as creating our own website for the
final media product which could advertise giving an overview and
allowing audience feedback, giving information to the viewers to make
our movie more professional and conventional.
• Another useful and beneficial way we could promote our movie could be
through the popular use of social networking. As in our generation
social networking is more than popular by creating articles to promote
through these websites it will allow our product to be distributed at a
sufficiently quicker and higher scale due to the current high use in social