Belangrijk om te onthouden : 2 manieren waarop wij werken met lokale besturen : Leveren van volledige oplossingen Leveren van huurlingen : consultants die tijdelijk de kennis van de ict-manager aanvullen Leveren van technische ondersteuning en troubleshooting Leveren oplossingen aan lokale besturen sinds 1996
Zarafa Tour 2014: "Where Zarafa can make a difference"
Where Zarafa can make a
Zarafa Tour 2014
De Dyck, 18th of september 2014
Jan Guldentops ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
BA N.V. ( http://www.ba.be )
Who am i ?
● Historian by education, ICT consultant & researcher by vocation,
security guy by accident.
● I owe my career and a lot of the fun in my life to open source
● Linux user for 20 years ( damm I am getting old )
● Open source is the best way to build own and maintain software!
● Yes I am open source fundamentalist ! ( after hours )
● Founder of Better Access / BA
● Team of consultants that make a living doing mostly open source
“Zarafa provides open source email and calendar
groupware software, Zarafa is the nr 1 MS
Exchange replacement with outlook&mobile
● Stable, reliable, affordable product
● Great alternative for Exchange
● Nice extra possibilities
But is this enough ?
● Messaging, calendering and groupware are
● Very difficult to make a difference
● Competing with allmost free out-of-the box SAAS
● Competition doesn't always play fair
● Easy to convince the techies, no ammunition to
convince the people that pay the bills ( CEO / CFO)
Learn from the evil geniuses
How to warn customers
against Of fice 365
● Nomen est omen
● Office 365 so what happens in a leap year ?
● You are locked in completely
● Typical crappy Microsoft issues
● You can't seamlessly upgrade from small business
to Enterprise -> Full migration
● Privacy issue
● Steve Jobs = the ultimate evil genius
● Sells you hardware 20% too expensive but in a
● Lures you into its closed up ecosystem
– Apple controls everything you do on the device
– You pay 30% sales tax to Apple
● Created a legion of Apple Fan boys and girls that
will buy anything they come up with
● New client-side Lingua Franca for the internet
● HTML5 fullfills the promises Java made 15
● Finally an alternative for Outlook !
● Crossplatform also to mobile platforms
● Masses of cool products being developped
Use the webapp as the
single gateway to a users
● Add presence, videoconfering, SIP, Chat
● e.g. Spreed
● Integrate with all kind of other Webbased
● Etc. Etc.
Create an (open)ecosystem
Quality Control Invoicing
Freedom / Selfdetermination
● Give the enduser back their freedom
● To use software anyway they see fit
● To regain control, ownership over their own data
● To regain their privacy