BETTER TOMORROWS FOR
Dr. Jayakara Bhandary M.
Department of Botany
Government College, Karwar - 581301
Uttara Kannada District, Karnataka
Presented at the
Principals Meet/ Seminar on
Value Education in Schools on Age Care
Increase in life expectancy…
Life expectancy –
• 42 years in 1951-60
• 58 years in 1980-90
• 67 years in 2011-16
• At 60, 15 years
• 58 years in 1980-90
• 69 years in 2011-16
• At 60, 16 years
More population aged….
• 8 crore now
• 10 crore in 2013
• 19.8 crore in 2030
• 32.6 crore in 2050 - 21%
of total population
Current Condition of the Aged ….
• Food - 5.5 crore no
two meals a day
• Exclusion – 3 crore
• Finance - majority
have to work to live
• Health – 1.2 crore blind
The Worse….. yet to come….
• Modern life styles –working couples
• Pressure-Fissure in family - Changing
• Child care at the cost of Parental care
• Gratification of personal desires Vs moral
• Personal Privacy / Right based,
• Myths, negative images, stereotypes
………Senior citizens….. Secondary
Caring the aged….
• Constitutional Duty (Article 41 of
Directive Principles of State Policy)
• Section 125 of CPC – Right of
parents to be supported by children
• UNO resolution on Principles for
Older Persons( 1991) –
Independence, Participation, Care,
Self fulfillment, Dignity
• Senior citizens Bill- 2007
• HP Maintenance of
Parents/dependants Bill 1996
Caring the aged…
Policy statement by Indian Govt.
• Concern of the aged is the
concern of the nation.
• Ensure living last phase of life
with dignity, peace and purpose
• Choices and opportunities for
independent, active, creative,
productive and satisfying life
How to Achieve? Ensure?
• Strengthening Family/societal
• Sensitisation of the young about
old age situation and care
• Strengthening inter-generational
• Dispelling myths,
Catch them YOUNG….
….. For the OLD
• Issues of Old age Situation/ Old age
care need to be integrated into
• Curricular / Extra-curricular Activities
/ Value- moral Education
• No separate Classes. Part of the
objectives behind forming of
curricula / functioning of the school.
Value (based) Education…
If a man cultivates values in his conduct, he may
still err a bit. But he may not be far from the
standard of truth - Confucius.
Children of the Global Village – midst of a value
crisis (Personal, Social, Cultural) .
Education for Employment, money making. NOT
Providing Life Value models a must
• Righteous Conduct.
• ……….. For / towards the
• Imposing/preaching right or wrong – not
• Values are caught (from parents, teachers,
peers), not taught.
• Actions speak louder than words
• Knowledge- Lessons on process, causes and
consequences of ageing, old age care,
family/social responsibilities, etc, at appropriate
levels/ strategies (Story telling ?)
• Experience – Activities to interact with aged
(Introduce ur grandparents, Day out with aged..)
• Value modeling – Skills and tools to evaluate /
decide their actions
• A day / week for the Aged? (Intn day Oct. 1)
Old age in curricula…
• Better tomorrow’s
for the aged
• Tomorrow’s ageing
may be better
• Preparing for Active
ageing/ Ageing with