What No One Told You About Flounder
Proper LED Flounder Lights and fishing equipment are necessary for getting a
good catch of flounders.The article focuses on certain helpful tricks.
Flounder gigging can be fun if you are properly equipped for it. If you are a
first-timer then you need the right gigging instrument, permissions, proper
weather conditions, and of course lights. Here are some pointers that can help
you get a good catch.
1. Flounders can be found in shallow waters where you can either
wade or may be take a shallow boat. The fish usually camouflages in
the sand waiting to catch shrimps and other small prey.
2. Determining the condition of wind is important. Fishing experts
suggest to go fishing when the wind is calm or very low which is
usually during the summer and spring months. Try the calmer side
of the marsh or island if there is a wind.
3. The flounders usually come in when the tide is rising. The rising
water brings in the fish and prevents the shallow boats from landing
on dry ground. The smaller ones come in first and then the larger
4. The gigging instrument should look like a pitch fork with a long
handle. Flounders are hard to spot because they remain hidden but
they travel in groups. So if you have spotted at least one then there
will be others around. Look for flounders in waters where you can
see baitfish. After spotting a legal sized one gig it immediately and
put it in the cooler.
5. Powerful lights are necessary to find the fish since they sometimes
change their color and camouflage with the surroundings. Earlier
incandescent ones were used but now Light Emitting Diodes or
LEDs are replacing them fast.
6. Choosing LEDs over incandescent ones makes sense because they
emit bright luminescence that allows fish to be caught easily in the
dark waters. They spread evenly over a larger area lighting
everything up. The halogens used to produce focused lights like a
hotspot which did not make fishing easier.
7. The light consumes minimum power for producing the high
powered beams and is highly energy efficient.
8. You can either use handheld ones or those attached to the boats. All
of these are designed to be submersible so that spotting a flounder
becomes easy. But you may need someone to hold the light for you
so that the fish can be gigged properly. Handheld lights can almost
follow the fish and light up the muddy waters.
9. Maintenance of the submersible LED flounder Lights is easy since
they are corrosion resistant to both sweet and salty water and
extremely hardy. Unlike the incandescent lights they don’t have a
filament which can break easily in harsh wind or rough handling.
10. The LED Flounder Lights can last for almost 40,000 hours so just
buy one and forget about buying anymore for the next five years.
11. Before going fishing check the rules and regulations to ascertain
how many flounders you are allowed to catch. Every region has a
cap on the amount of fish per day per person. It is done to conserve
the fish as well as allow angling.