• Developed by Brendan Eich
at Netscape in 1994.
– A lightweight interpreted
– Considered client-server
solution as a distributed OS
– Complement Java by
appealing to nonprofessional
• Like Microsoft's VB.
language that is:
– Weakly typed
– And has first-class functions.
• It is a multi-paradigm language, supporting multiple
Adoption by Microsoft
• Internet Information Server 3.0, introduced
renamed JScript to avoid trademark issues.
– JScript added new date methods to fix the Y2K-
based on Java's java.util.Date class.
• Netscape introduced an implementation of
the language for server-side scripting with
Netscape Enterprise Server in 1995.
– Since the mid-2000s, there has been a
• node.js (2009)is one recent notable example of
• In November 1996, Netscape announced that
International for consideration as an industry
– Subsequent work resulted in the standardized
version named ECMAScript.
var today = new Date();
// sets to current date & time
newYear = new Date(2002, 0, 1);
The Document object
• Represents the currently loaded document
Attributes of the current document are:
• The documents methods include:
Like a print statement – the output goes into the
Adds a newline after printing.
"My title is " + document.title
The Navigator Object
• Represents the browser. Read-only!
• Attributes include: