4 Steps to Align Sales & Marketing for Greater ROI
4 STEPS TO ALIGN SALES
& MARKETING FOR
(A Tested Approach)
WHAT’S AHEAD? THE STORY OF HOW WE…
• Boosted lead-to-opportunity conversion on PPC leads by 385%.
• Went from 4 to 65 user reviews in 10 days.
• Learned to spike marketing ROI around additional initiatives.
…AND HOW YOU CAN, TOO.
CHAPTER 1: THE GREAT
Because you will never get maximum marketing ROI if your marketing & sales
teams are not aligned.
LET’S START FROM THE TOP.
• Rarely ever is it the case that sales simply doesn’t want to help you with
CHAPTER 2: THE REAL-
Based on an experiment we ran with PPC leads.
STEP 1: WE IDENTIFIED “WHAT MATTERS”
• We know that when a lead comes in from one of our LinkedIn PPC
campaigns, it has a high probability of turning into a sales
• Our marketing team focuses on opportunities.
• So we needed to get our sales team more focused on
STEP 2: WE BUILT A CAMPAIGN
• It was kind of like our own internal marketing campaign, only we were
marketing LinkedIn leads.
• We surrounded our team with it through these channels:
HERE’S WHAT THE CAMPAIGN LOOKED LIKE:
*Note: This was automated with our sales performance platform, but if you’re not a customer, you can still take
away the point: Surround your team with the initiative you’re motivating.
• Name: Keep ‘em Converting!
• Duration: 10 days
• 100 points for following up with a lead from LinkedIn
• 500 points for booking a demo with a lead from LinkedIn
• (Reps had to log either activity in Salesforce, our CRM, to have it
• Communications: We launched leaderboards on TVs in the office and in
Salesforce and updates via automated emails and mobile notifications
to keep the campaign top of mind for the team.
AND AS A BONUS…
• The campaign came with tons of recognition. Our VP of Sales
called out top performers in team meetings, and peers gave each
other props for moving up the leaderboard.
• On top of that, we offered one small bonus, announcing that we
would feature the person with the highest amount of points at the
end of those 10 days on our blog.
RESULT: WE BOOSTED
CONVERSION RATES ON
THOSE LEADS BY 385%.
CHAPTER 3: THE 2ND
Based on an experiment we ran when creating the same sort of campaign
around user-generated reviews.
• G2 Crowd has rapidly become the trusted source of enterprise
software reviews from real users.
• Before this campaign, we only had 4 reviews.
SO WE BUILT THIS CAMPAIGN:
• Name: Drive Those G2 Crowd Reviews
• Duration: 10 Days
• 1 point per email sent to a customer asking for a G2
• 25 points per review submitted
• Communications: We launched leaderboards on TVs in the
office and in Salesforce and updates via automated emails
and mobile notifications to keep the campaign top of mind for
RESULT: WE WENT FROM
4 TO 65 REVIEWS IN 10
*Today we have 85 reviews because our team made it habit to ask
customers for them.
HOW YOU CAN GET MORE MARKETING ROI, TOO:
1. Identify what matters
2. Build a campaign around it
• Potential bonus incentive (if needed)
3. Place visibility around it
4. Repeat if you need to, to help the behavior become habit for your team
GET MORE TESTED IDEAS FOR GREATER