The benefits of being frugal
• Too much money tempts you into doing stupid
• On a limited budget, you are forced to be
much more creative.
• This trial by fire will add to your longevity and
profitability, so you can create a sound
business which will scale over time.
KISS – Keep it Simple Stupid !
• Focus – do one thing at a time, and do it well
• Own a niche – go deep !
• Pareto rule – 80/20
• Know what to say No to !
Frugal is Fashionable and Cool
• Circular Economy
• Shared/ Rental Economy
• Open Source
• Tinkering /Maker movement
• Social impact
• Investors and ESG
Unfair advantage !
• If you can sell in India you can sell anywhere in
the world !
• Indian customers demand value for money !
• Build bottom up and then add bells and
whistles = Reverse Innovation.
• Export solutions
• Much less expensive to run a startup in India !
• Proves you can implement !
• Shows faith in yourself ! If you don’t
invest in yourself, why do you expect
investors to ?
• Your customers are your best source of
• If you can get paying customers, the
investors will follow !
Frugal vs Miserly
• Once you have laid a healthy
foundation for your startup by being
lean and agile, you need to learn to
be able to think big !
• But you have to earn the right to do
The Frugal Digital Manifesto
• Cost is the starting point
• Social impact is the goal
• Technology is the medium.
• * Make it economically worthwhile
* Source locally – Use what’s readily
* Re-purpose available technology
* Upcycle and recycle
* Make it serviceable and reusable
* Make it open source
Frugal vs Jugaad
• Jugaad = making do in the face of
• Applied ingenuity
• One off, quick-fix, temporary band
aid solutions on an ad hoc basis
Frugal vs Jugaad
• Frugal innovation is low cost
• Affordable, sustainable and scalable.
• Frugal innovation can become reverse
• Frugal can be disruptive
• More for less
• ESG impact – investor friendly !