U.S. workforce become diversity today.
In order to adapt this shift, organizations
need to make diversity management a central
component of their policies and practices.
◦ Difference in easily perceived characteristics.
◦ It can lead employees to perceive one another
through stereotype and assumption.
◦ Such as race, age, gender…
◦ More important for determining similarity as people
get to know one another.
◦ Such as vales, personality, and work preferences.
Discrimination means we allowing our behavior
to be influence by stereotypes about groups of
◦ Unfair discrimination is often very harmful to
organization and employees, such as reduced
productivity, negative conflicts, and increased turnover.
◦ Discrimination type
Discriminatory policies or practices
Mockery and insults
Biographical characteristics means personal
characteristics that are objective and easily
obtained from personal records.
◦ Surface-level diversity
◦ such as age, gender, race, and length of tenure
Dose age and job performance have relationship?
◦ An employee is older, who is less likely to quit.
◦ Older employee have lower rater of avoidable absence
than do younger employees, but they have higher rates
of unavoidable absence.
Dose age and job satisfaction have relationship?
◦ Satisfaction tends to continually increase among
professionals as they age.
◦ However, satisfaction tends to decrease among
nonprofessionals during middle age and then rises
again in the later years.
Whether women perform as well on jobs as
◦ There are few differences between men and woman
in job performance.
◦ Work schedules seem to differ between genders.
◦ A one study point out woman more liking to turn
out than men. But now??
◦ Parents were rated lower in job commitment,
achievement striving, dependability than individuals
Race means biological heritage people,
Ethnicity is additional set of cultural
characteristics that often overlaps with race.
◦ People tend to favor colleagues of their own race.
◦ Substantial racial differences exist in attitudes
toward affirmative action.
◦ African Americans generally fare worse than Whites
in employment decisions.
Workers with disabilities receive higher
But they also encounter lower performance
expectations and are less likely to be haired.
Tenure means seniority as time on a particular job.
◦ Tenure is a good predictor of employee productivity.
◦ Tenure on an employee’s previous job is a powerful
predictor of that employee’s future turnover.
Sexual orientation and gender identity
Ability is an individual’s current capacity to
perform the various tasks in a job.
Intellectual abilities are abilities needed to
perform mental activities ─ thinking,
reasoning, and problem solving.
◦ General mental ability(GMA) is an overall factor of
intelligence, as suggested by the positive
correlations among specific intellectual ability
◦ Wonderlic Personnel Test
◦ The correlation between intelligence and job
satisfaction is about zero.
Diversity management is a process and
programs by which managers make everyone
more aware of and sensitive to the needs and
differences of others.
Attract diverse employees : target recruiting
messages to specific demographic groups
underrepresented in the workforce.
The selection process is one of the most
important places for diversity efforts.
◦ Fair and objective, qualifications are more
Similarity in personality does appear to affect
◦ Collectivistic cultures & individualistic cultures
◦ Deep-level diversity is more important than
Individuals who are demographically different
from their co-works are more likely to feel low
commitment and turn out.
All workers appeared to prefer an organization
that values diversity.
Diversity will help or hurt group performance.
◦ Trait diversity or Demographic diversity
Organization use a variety of efforts to
capitalize on diversity
◦ Teach managers about the legal framework for
equal employment opportunity
◦ Teach managers how a diverse workforce will be
better able to serve a diverse market of customers
◦ Foster personal development practices that bring
out the skills and ability of all workers.
◦ Some biographical vary across culture.
◦ Evidence strongly supports the idea that the
structures and measures of intellectual abilities
generalize across culture.