So what's all the Hype?
What exactly is Facebook®?
• Facebook® is a “social networking website”
• Facebook® is a free service that allows you to
create an online page to connect with
friends, family, or make new friends with
• On your Facebook® page you can share
pictures, personal information
, messages, videos , join groups and add
• Facebook® was founded in 2004 by Harvard
student Mark E. Zuckerberg with help from his
roommates Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes.
• Facebook® was originally for Harvard students then
expanded to other colleges then to anyone over the age of
18, and now currently to anyone 13 years of age or older.
• Company Overview:
“Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share
and make the world more open and connected.”
Facebook® is a social networking website. You can
access Facebook® by login into www.facebook.com
and this is what you will see….
What is Social Networking?
Social Networking is defined as:
• A phenomena defined by linking people to each other in some way
• A social network service focuses on building online communities of
people who share interests and/or activities, or who are interested
in exploring the interests and activities of others
• This is where people develop networks of friends and associates. It
forges and creates links between different people. A social network
can form a key element of collaborating and networking
Lets find out more……
So what exactly is a Social Network?
Lets found out, click below...
You may ask….
How can I be sure my students or
child is safe on Facebook® or any
other social networking sites?
Facebook® Advice for Parents
What you should know, click to find out..
Major points available on facebook.com:
1. You should have control over your personal information.
Facebook® helps you share information with your friends and
people around you. You choose what information you put in
your profile, including contact and personal
information, pictures, interests and groups you join. And you
control the users with whom you share that information
through the privacy settings on the Privacy page.
2. Children between 13-18
Facebook® recommends that minors 13 years of age or older
ask their parents for permission before sending any information
about themselves to anyone over the Internet.
3. Sharing Your Information with Third Parties
Facebook® share your information with third parties under the
following circumstances: 1) reasonably necessary to offer the
service, 2) legally required or, 3) permitted by you.
Staying safe on Facebook®/ Internet
Available on www.facebook.com/safety/ :
Some important safety tips when using Facebook®:
• Keep the amount of private information you post to a
• Never post information like your address, birthday, telephone
number, class schedule, or anything else that you would not
want a stranger to know.
• Keep your password a secret
• Make sure to adjust your privacy setting so only people you
want to review you page can
• Be cautious about posting and sharing personal
information, especially information that could be used to
identify you or locate you offline, such as your address or
• Block and report anyone that sends you unwanted or
A Guide to Staying Safe on
Major points available on www.facebook.com/safety/
• Facebook® strongly urges parents to talk to their children about the
dangers they may encounter online, and to make sure their children
are using Facebook® in a safe manner. Children must know that they
should report any inappropriate or offensive Facebook® content to
their parents and to Facebook® using the tools made available through
• More information regarding Internet safety can be found on the
Advantages and Disadvantages of
• It’s a social network- It’s a great way to keep in touch with friends and also
make new friends. You can meet people with your same interest or hobbies,
and even connect with people in your same field of study or job.
• Facebook® allows you to share information and photos, you can blog about a
topic of interest, and you can also connect to other applications like, Twitter or
• Facebook® allows people to connect, to learn from each other, to discuss
issues, viewpoints and share advice. You can also join groups having similar
likes and dislikes.
• Sharing too much private information could become a problem so share only
what you are comfortable with sharing. Through your privacy settings you can
control what you share.
Are their anymore advantages and disadvantages you can think of?
• Facebook® has over 200 million users
• Over 70% of Facebook® users are outside the
• The average person has 120 friends on Facebook®
• More than 3.5 billion minutes are spent on Facebook®
• The fastest growing demographic is those 35 years old
• Slogan “Facebook® helps you connect and share with
the people in your life.”
Hope you enjoyed this presentation…