Temperate Forest - areas with high levels of
precipitation, humidity and contain a variety of
Deciduous trees - describes trees and bushes that
shed their leaves in the fall ; lose their leaves in
Precipitation - formation of rain, snow, or hail from
moisture in the air
• Climate : range from hot in the summer with highs of 86
degrees Fahrenheit, to extremely cold in the winter with
lows of - 22 degrees Fahrenheit
• Amount of Rainfall : usually between 20-60 inches of
More about Temperate Forests…
• Location : includes Eastern Asia, Central and Western Area and
Eastern United States
• Vegetation : temperate forests are able to support a wide
variety of plant life and vegetation
• Wildlife : temperate forests are home to a wide variety of
• It have a dry season and a long wet season. The temperature is
almost always cool, but in the summer it can get quite hot and
in the winter quite cold (near freezing).
• The largest temperate rainforests in the world are located in
Layers of the Temperate Forest
• It has the canopy, understory and the forest floor.
Compared to the tropical rainforest, it does not include
an emergent trees layer.
Temperate Forests Threatened
• Timber cutting is the number one threat to these forests.
• Acid rain caused by industries and vehicles damages the leaves
of trees, and causes them to produce smaller and fewer seeds.
• Another threat to the Temperate Rainforest is the introduction
of non-native plant and animal species. This is a threat because
it upsets the balance of the forest ecosystem.
• Other threats include unsustainable forestry and strip mining.
• Climate change is also a threat.
WE CAN SAVE IT!
• First of all, you can recycle. Trees are used to make the paper
for paper bags, newspapers, printer paper, and many more
products we use in our everyday lives.
• Use cloth products instead of paper products, like napkins,
towels, plates, and cups.
• Drive less, and carpool when possible. Car exhaust is one of the
main contributors to acid rain.
• Walk or ride your bike to help keep our environment clean and
keep yourself active
• And of course, encourage others to do the same.