Instructions: Videos, Assessments: Multiple choice, This is what you can do in the software.
Examples of Media course: tie it in with piazza, blackboard, Piazza
USer centric users; different types of users; Students TAs and Profs Bridging the gap, what specifically you track. Change the content of the flowchart
Having specific things for user activity (doing differently)... fully user 6 courses.. 500 users
WSWIG: Drag and drop Open source libraries and user centric approach: Added instructional design hints e.g immediate feedback Version control, LaTeX for equations, rich text editing, and embedded media. Data loss - we had backups
Summary of the slide ~7k Use stuff they already have. Limitations: Logistics
Key strokes matter…. In language Booking in University of Hawaii and University of Michigan Variablity. In the world, technology limitation
Cabinets; wireless; support system for
What panopto: -- open source -- How can it be used in Open education.
TelKart and QnA: An Open Teaching System for Computer Science Courses
Telkart and QnA: An Open
Teaching System for
Computer Science Courses
Vikram Kamath Cannanure, Dr. Geoff Gordon
Carnegie Mellon University
Introduction: What’s the talk about?
• Discuss our system for teaching
computer science courses.
• Show a prototype and its application
• Seek feedback about our system and
it’s application in OER.
• Look for prospective collaboration for
research and deployment.
Our System: What is it made of?
• QnA: A software system to upload instructions (videos,
text) and assessments.
• Telkart: A custom hardware system to create videos.
• Lightweight: Uses existing devices (MacBook and an
iPad) to create course content.
QnA: Software Web Portal
• Limited Learning Management
System(LMS) features with low
• Modularity, portability were the
• Designed using user-centered
research; and open source
Our Design Approach
• Our users are stakeholders
• Features developed in iterations
• Continuous feedback loop
• We use insights from users for
Features in QnA
• WYSIWYG- What You
See Is What You Get
• Real-time latex preview
• Embed media
• Version control
TelKart: Custom hardware cart
• Mac Mini, Wacom tablet, video and audio recording.
• Mounted on a custom-made cart.
• Can be wheeled to a classroom or office.
• Content is exported or live streamed to YouTube or
Future Work: Low Cost TelKart
• iPad Pro and a MacBook
connected using the default
• Uses QuickTime and open
source OBS Studio to broadcast
the window from the iPad
• Allows switching windows and
adding a camera view.
Next Steps: Low Cost TelKart
“ It took me less than an hour to set up” - Professor, Carnegie Mellon University
• Collect feedback from users and deploy it
• Build a low cost version e.g. Android tablet
• Build a DIY instructional setup for instructors to use it independently
• Augment the system with 3D printing and add on lenses
Project: Future Work
• Open-source software to form independent instances
• Prototype and evaluate the low cost version of the tool
• Deploy to more instructors within and outside university
• Add documentation to make adoption easier
• QnA: system is deployed in campuses in Pittsburgh and
• TelKart: A custom hardware system to create videos.
• Prototype a low-cost version of the system based on a
laptop and a tablet
• Seeking feedback and ideas that you may have
Visit me at my poster.