Successfully reported this slideshow.
Oct 10, 2016
Presentation given in the opening session of the MariaDB Developers Meetup 2016 in Amsterdam. Thanks Booking.com for providing the venue!
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation1
October 6th–8th 2016
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation2
The MariaDB Foundation is funded by
Booking.com, MariaDB.com, Visma,
DBS and many others.
Please support us to guarantee
that our mission succeeds!
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation3
The MariaDB Foundation and
Corporation are separate entities
● Similar to WordPress/Automattic, OwnCloud
● MariaDB Corporation is only one of the sponsors,
contributes 1/6th of the yearly budget.
● The Foundation staff do not work for the MariaDB
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation4
The MariaDB Foundation mission
Make sure that MariaDB
continues to thrive and
stay maintained as long
as there are users who
Be a place where
everybody can contribute
and collaborate using the
best open source
Make sure MariaDB is universally available and included on
all major platforms, serving an ever growing community of
users and developers.
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation5
● The Foundation has the relevant
technical assets and tools (mariadb.org
website, version control repository, build
and release systems).
● The Foundation has copyright via staff
work and contributor work (CLA). For the
rest (some copyrights, trademark etc) the
Foundation has irrevocable licenses to
use (e.g. GPL, BSD).
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation6
● Publish code in real time, not just at release time.
● Discuss and plan on public mailing list and IRC.
● Public bug tracker, transparent progress and
● Respond quickly to pull requests on Github and to
bug reports that have patches attached.
● Keep documentation up-to-date, develop
documentation alongside code and allow also
contributions in documentation.
● Regular, free-to-attend developer meetups.
● True open source, not just code dumps.
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation7
Welcoming new contributors
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation8
● 7 people, including Michael Widenius
● Makes MariaDB available to as many users as
possible (porting, packaging)
● Single contact point for collaboration and
– Make sure all pull requests and patches are
responded to promptly and properly reviewed
– Respond at firstname.lastname@example.org, collaborate
with security teams and publish CVEs
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation9
Foundation development work
Focusing on issues that benefit as many users as possible
● Work with community contributors to steward patches
through the integration process
● Develop new features, tests, continuous integration and
QA, packaging, tracking sister projects, security etc
● Dedicated employee for documentation
● Grow new developers
● Maintain mariadb.org
● Increase adoption
● Connect users with specific needs to service providers
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation10
Achievements in 2015
● Release of 10.1 for General Availability, includes
built-in Galera cluster support and new encryption
features (contributed by Google), better
performance and improved security features
● Developer Meetup in Amsterdam with over 60
● Ported to ARM, AIX, System Z, Power 8 etc.
● Increased community and adoption
● Read report at
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation11
Achievements in 2016
● Stable release of 10.2 planned for December
– window functions, common table expressions...
– 10.2 presentation later today by Sergei G
● Developer Meetup in Amsterdam with over 70
● Ported to MIPS, HPPA; refreshed for MacOS X
● Increased community and adoption
– Debian: from an option to the default
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation12
”Given enough eyeballs all
bugs are shallow” – Linus's law
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation13
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation14
Active development and use
Steadily increasing LOC
(10.1 branch / Ohloh.net)
ranking of MariaDB
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation15
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation16
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation17
There are plenty of
opportunities to contribute
Scratch your own itch!
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation18
Big or small – everything counts
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation19
Number of contributors?
(mariadb 10.2)$ git log --since='2016-01-01' |
grep Author | sort -u | wc -l
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation20
Themes at the meeting
● Finalize 10.2
● Plan 10.3
● Plugins and storage engines: Galera, Spider,
● Improve our QA processes and development
● Improve our release process and update flow to
● Compatibility (backwards and sideways)
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation21
Towards the best solution in the world
Using the open source software development model
© 2016 MariaDB Foundation22