E-learning Development of Statistics and in Duex: Practical Approaches and Their Tips for High-Quality Courses
E-learning Development of Statistics and in Duex:
Practical Approaches and their Tips for Low-Cost/High-Quality Courses
Mathematical Science Division
November 15, 2018
Conference on Education of Data Science
at Shiga Univerity
Joe Suzuki Professor of Statistics, Osaka university
Research Machine learning (graphical models and sparse estimation)
Education Statistics for undergraduate and graduate students
Management e-learning production at Duex
Data-related Human Resource Development (Duex)
was established in October 2017
Duex consists of 3 Cources
A. Data Science Basic Course
B. Data Science Practice Course
C. Medical Data Basic and Practice Course
Universities Osaka U, Kyoto U, Shiga U, Kobe U,
Wakayama U, Nara Institute of Tech
Companies More than 10 including Apt,
Intelligence, Aioi-Nissei-Dowa, etc.
Others ISM, NII, AIST, AIP
Duex has been selected as MEXT’s
Data related Human Resource Development Project
Period Yearly Budget for each Institute
2017.10 – 2018.3 70 M JPY (= 0.65 M USD)
2018.4 – 2019.3 140 M JPY (= 1.3 M USD)
2019.4 – 2020.4 140 M JPY (= 1.3 M USD)
2020.4 – 2021.3 140 M JPY (= 1.3 M USD)
2021.3 – 2022.3 140 M JPY (=1.3 M USD)
• Waseda U.
• U. of Electro-Communications
• Tokyo Medical & Dental U.
• Osaka U.
Ministry of Education,
Culture, Sports, Science
Develop leaders who take charge the statisticians around him.
棟梁 is the leader of a specialist group
棟梁 should be a specialist
as well as a manager
Kick off Meeting of Duex @ Osaka U.
More than 100 participants (Oct. 7, 2017)
Machine Learning &Statistics Spring Camp @ Osaka U.
200 participants for each day (March 26-27, 2018 ).
• Hard to ask other to become 非常勤講師 (Part-Time instructor)
while more faculties are asking us to teach Statistics
(not just engineering, but almost all)
• Almost impossible to commute to Osaka U.
• The study material has been standardized
Why e-Learning in Statistics?
How to make an e-learning video
without spending money/time?
• discussing with the members who develop materials
• evaluate them in some steps:
Mathematics of Machine Learning and R Programming
Sparse Estimation and its Application to Machine Learning
Make a Video Course by Yourself: Low Cost/High Quality
• PC with Camera
• Camtasia Studio (video generation software)
• High-Quality Microphone
(using PC microphone makes the voice quality low)
• Music, Video, Image
(a free version is available)
• Narration Software reading texts
(could be used)
Without asking others to record voice and video
Possible Steps for making a video using PowerPoint
1. Make slides using PowerPoint
2. Make a script for each PowerPoint page
3. Record your lecture: choose one of the two
3 a. Speak in front of PC using a microphone and proceeding with the slides
3 b. transfer the script files to voice files, and embed them to PowerPoint
4. Add the recorded video/voice to tracks in Camtasia Studio
5. Add the starting/ending videos, texts, effects to the tracks.
6. Finalize and wait for Camtasia Studio to generate the MP3 format.
7. Upload the video to your LMS, Youtube, etc.
2. Make a script for each PowerPoint page
3. Make Voice Files using Narration Software
Blue Microphones Yeti USB
around 150 USD
Around 100 USD
/Kansai JPLeast Expensive JP Narrator
Why Script is needed even when you use microphone?
Un-huh come on um・・・、ah・・・ let’s see you know
Using narration software is reasonable:
always clean voice is obtained even when you tired.
A voice file (.wave) will be generated.
Camtasia Studio (200 USD/Licence)
7. Camtasia Studio records
• PC Capture (page change timing and pointer)
• You (via PC camera)
8. Overlay Media in Tracks
• Intro/Ending Video
• Intro/Ending Music
• Other Video
• PC Camera
• PC Capture
Add necessary Effects
Choose your media
https://library.techsmith.com/assets contains free media.
9. Add further effects on the tracks
• Changing the PC camera size
• Music Fade-in/out
• Add further texts
• Add effects when changing between PC camera and PC capture
Make one in your organization an expert.
10. Make an MP4 format file
Takes Twice as long as the video duration.
For a video of 20 mins, it takes 40 mins to generate its MP4 file
Using Camtasia Studio.
You will obtain a video.
Where to Upload your video?
• Password Protection
• The video file cannot be downloaded
• The uploaded file can be updated
• Detailed Access Analysis
• 70 USD/year
Tips for making videos
• Make your Power Point as good as possible
• Prepare Scripts
• Use Media as much as possible
To become a an expert:
Make video as many as possible
What Statistic Courses are available?
Machine Learning with R
Finance with YUIMA R Package
Sparsity with Statistical Learning
Bio and Medical Statistics
Mathematics for Statistics
IoT and Statistics
Modeling for Data Science
A-I and A-II for Human and Social Sciences
B-I and B-II for BioStats
C-I and C-II for Engineers
Those courses are for Ph. D Students but the matrials are easy enough !
• Duex: an organization of Data Science Education
• How to make an e-learning video: A Case Study
2019 Machine Learning & Data Science Spring Camp
will be held in Osaka, March 11-12, 2019