This Conference, organized by RCE Kano, is one of the avenues of pushing the cause of the SDG. The second Digital Youth Forum is focused on leadership, and is designed to complement the first Conference held in October 2020.
2ND ESD DIGITAL YOUTH HUB ON
LEADERSHIP AND SUSTAINABILITY
1st and 2nd November, 2020.
INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW
SAFIYA AHMAD NUHU
Deputy Director (Training), Center for Gender Studies. How do we encourage
social entrepreneurs to avoid the clutches of politicians who take advantage of
such efforts for cheap credit to their political movements?
THE THEME, THE TOPIC
• SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT:
• SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS:
• CLIMATE CHANGE:
• CLIMATE ACTION:
• LEADERSHIP FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT:
• The 2030 Agenda for sustainable development is aimed towards ‘transforming the
world’, targeting the eradication of poverty -‘the greatest global challenge’- in
all its forms and dimensions. The Agenda emphatically expresses the
commitment by states to take bold and transformative steps to shift the
world on to a sustainable and resilient path, while ensuring that no one is
left behind. Youth inclusivity has therefore factored as an important feature of
• Areas of critical importance for humanity and the planet
ABOUT THE ESD YOUTH AMBASSADORS
• The ESD Ambassadors:
• These are participants from the First National Youth Conference on Education for Sustainable Development
that was held on the 3rd October 2017 at Bayero University Kano, which hosted students from five tertiary
institutions (Bayero University Kano; Federal University Dutse; Yusuf Maitama Sule University, Kano; Kano
University of Science and Technology; and the Federal College of Education, Daura) as well as
representatives of the six regional centers of expertise.
• The sustainability ambassadors program is a program of Bayero University Kano, hosted by the Center for
Gender Studies in collaboration with RCE Kano. An ESD Youth Hub has been established with the hope of
continuously promoting the ambassadors through series of initiatives, and engagements that center around the
SDGs. The program as well aims to extend its reach to involve more institutions across the country.
1ST DIGITAL CONFERENCE
SOME KEY MESSAGES
• How climate change touches many lives: older generations enjoyed what we do not have now. Global
warming is endangering our lives.
• Importance of youth environmental action, building capabilities for change, policy making, participating in
• Position ourselves for the future, leaving no one behind and adopting a relational approach that is
interconnected and interdisciplinary.
• We are a part of this web of life, we are all connected to nature.
• Energy efficiency as an important factor to saving the environment
• How indigenous knowledge and practices influences behaviour and how this can be used to achieve
• COVID 19 exposed some positives and negatives –it is a call for action.
• The new normal: Look at it as an opportunity, it opened up a world that can change, the change happens to
• Building back better rather than getting back to the ‘old’ normal.
• HOW CAN WE BUILD ON WHAT WE LEARNT POST COVID?
• WHAT OPPORTUNITIES ARE THERE ?
THE OPPORTUNITY IS BETTER NOW THAN IT EVER WAS
• For young people in particular, the 17 SDGs are an indicator of opportunities, many opportunities are tied
around them, and importantly, there will be action in these areas -work, opportunities, etc.
HOW CAN WE CONTRIBUTE TO THE CHANGE?
• -Political engagement
• -Start small, with your community
• -Alliances and networks,
• Support empowerment of communities
• -Sharing skills and ideas
• Start conversations
• Entrepreneurship: recycle something
• Share our stories
• Creating competence and leadership potentials in sustainability advocates
• Awareness, about consequences
• Community initiatives, eg best garden award, best lawn
• Community sustainability funds
• Sustainability ambassadors our space heroes
• Self development
• Replication, transforming knowledge into action and practice – build the right personal
• UN WORLD YOUTH REPORT
• LOOK AT NEXT NORMAL CAMPAIGN (UNESCO)
• ESD FOR 2030 PROGRAM (UNESCO)
• REGISTER FOR THE EUROPEAN RCE CONFERENCE
2ND ESD DIGITAL YOUTH CONFERENCE
• The second Digital Youth Forum is focused on leadership, and is designed to complement the first Conference
held in October 2020. It aims to achieve the following:
1. Develop personal leadership skills amoung youth to improve prospects and build confidence.
2. Improving capacity, competence and efficiency among youth in promoting the SDGs.
3. Aiding the skills and capabilities of youth to play a significant role in all aspects of the polity, including
leadership, governance and politics.
4. Re-igniting the interest of youth in matters of national development; and dispelling the laid-back, lackluster
attitude in such matters.
5. Increasing youth understanding, awareness and engagement on sustainability and sustainability issues.
6. Avail participants an opportunity to make networks and collaborations that will enhance their relevance as
leaders, and serve as change makers.